The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Mallard Monday

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  deluxe hunter 
#1 ·
Had a pretty good day today, considering I did not fire a shot on Saturday. I killed my first drake mallard in my second year of hunting waterfowl, and that had me pumped.

It was special for me as well because I decided to leave the benelli at home and took my pap's model 12 made in 1919. To my knowledge, these are the first ducks taken with it.

The first duck in was a drake woodie that my buddy Mark dropped. The mallards showed up shortly after that and dropped their feet. I was the only one to shoot, my buddies were trying to organize some things and missed out. I made it count and went two for two. The only duck after that was a hen woodie that Dan bagged.

Even though I don't have a lot of experience waterfowl hunting, I sure have fun doing it.

See less See more
#7 ·
I was shooting Hevi duck 2 3/4" 7.5 and 6's through it. They are not cheap, but it is worth it to me to use the model 12. I wanted to use it while it is still "nice" out. I will use my other shotgun once I run out of hevi shot or the weather turns. Plus, it seems everytime I pull the trigger a duck falls

#9 ·
benelli21 said:
I was shooting Hevi duck 2 3/4" 7.5 and 6's through it. They are not cheap, but it is worth it to me to use the model 12. I wanted to use it while it is still "nice" out. I will use my other shotgun once I run out of hevi shot or the weather turns. Plus, it seems everytime I pull the trigger a duck falls
Hevi-shot does seem like magic, eh? It shouldn't hurt that gun, but if it were mine, I sure wouldn't be using it...

#10 ·
jimmyt said:
benelli21 said:
Hevi-shot does seem like magic, eh? It shouldn't hurt that gun, but if it were mine, I sure wouldn't be using it...
Guess that's a difference between us.

#11 ·
benelli21 said:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.