The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Deer camp?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RacksnQuacks 
#1 ·
What does it mean to you?

To me, it’s the smell of the wood burner with a fresh snow on the ground, putting snow seal on your boots the night before, family and friends at camp telling stories, spraying and wiping guns down with remoil, clearing a piece of ground out by your chosen tree, and hardly sleeping in anticipation of the first day. I’ll never forget when my grandpa quit hunting and just cooked and stayed at camp. He was still in bed when we left in the morning. I did him a favor and loaded the wood burner up before we left. When we got back for lunch, every door and window were open in camp, and he was cussing up a storm. Remember it like it was yesterday, and it was 24 years ago.

#4 ·
I go home every night but I hunt with a good group of guys. At the end of the day it's back to the cabin for a few beers and congrats if someone was successful. A nice warm potbelly stove keeping the cabin warm and a lantern for light. IMO you can't beat telling stories about how the day went and what tomorrow may bring.

#7 ·
The smell of the fireplace, the leaves on the ground and the excitement of first day. Telling old stories even if you've heard them many times. Watching our sons grow from having their Mom's pick them up Saturday, when they were very young, to becoming full time participants in the last few years. Big breakfast in the morning and crock pot dinners. Cooking up backstrap in the evening with your beverage of choice.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.