The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Asparagus

6K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Trout 2003 
#1 ·
Got my first hand full of asparagus this morning to add to the breakfast omlett. Will be getting a bunch when the sun comes out for a day.

#2 ·
Looking forward to my Asparagus this year. I planted two year old roots last year which grew pencil diameter shoots. Didn't pick any at all. Was a little worried when nothing was growing this year but when we had the warm weather the other day, several popped about the size of my little finger. Should be picking some by the weekend.

#3 ·
Question: does asparagus grow in clumps or does it send runners like strawberries?
Am thinking about putting in an asparagus patch, knowing that it will take at least 2 or 3 years before my first harvest.
Also, what kind of soil acidity does it like? Got the perfect spot near a white pine tree if they like acidic soil.
Thanks.

#4 ·
They grow from roots that do get larger each year. If started from seed they take three years. You can buy just male plants that will have more shoots but the female will reseed and get more that way. Wal Mart has purple passion and jersey aspargus now. They are both very good and tender. I use a lot of compost when I plant them and then give them a covering of horse manure in the fall. I don't cut the old tops back until spring. I don't know if they would grow near a pine tree. They like a lot of sunshine. I also use rock salt on them during the growing season. They seem to like the salt and it kills the grass growing around them

#5 ·
Here is a asparagus soup recipe that my wife makes. She doesn't follow this recipe exactly. She adds a little more potatoes & onion but always doubles or even triples the recipe.

Lots of asparagus chopped in 1"-1 1/2" pieces
1 med. potatoe
1 med. onion
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1 pint chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup half & half

Chop asparagus & cube potatoe. Saute onion with butter in a pot until tender. Add curry powder, chicken broth, water, salt & bring to a boil. Then add asparagus & potatoe. Simmer until tender. Stir in half & half. Serve

This makes a great meal served with a tuna melt sandwich. I think fish & asparagus go together like PB & J, pizza & beer, bologna & cheese. OK I made my point.

#6 ·
This makes a great meal served with a tuna melt sandwich. I think fish & asparagus go together like PB & J, pizza & beer, bologna & cheese. OK I made my point.
Yeah Buzz, well you also made me very hungry.... and I''m tryin to watch my girlish figure.
I'm gonna print that and see if I can beat my wife into making it.

#10 ·
Fleroo said:
Must add.... I just noticed the "Curry". Not real sure about that. There ain't an Indian bone in my body.
none here either

Every microclimate is different. I'd give it a couple weeks, then start worrying. _________________________

I work with a guy who lives on the other side of county. His is always 3 weeks behind mine.

#14 ·
There's a sulphur compound in asparagus called mercaptan. The smell occurs when this compund is broken down in your digestive system. Apparently this substance is also in onions, garlic, rotten eggs and even in skunks. My urine stinks also when eating asparagus!

#20 ·
Ya, def. not too late. I planted mine last year in May but if you do plant take your time and nail the asp. bed. You only get one shot really to make the soil right so mix a ton of organics in and plant then nice and deep. My second year plant are looking amazing and popping up all over and as thick as your thumb.

#22 ·
Kind of off topic here, but...

I love asparagus. Was thinking about putting a patch in the ground but I ate some the other day, and my urine smelled the high heavens like asparagus. This cannot be good for you...

I turned away from the urinal to wash my hands and a kid I work with goes "whoa, smells like you've been eating asparagus..."

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.