New to DMAP - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
M70
Regular Visitor

Question New to DMAP

First time ever getting a DMAP permit and having a hard time with learning the ropes. Mine is for unit 3461 and has a coupon code printed on the tag. Main question I have is where can I harvest a deer? The entire 3461 area, only land signed up for the program, public land? We have our own land that is not currently signed up for the program and would like to use it there if allowed. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:21 PM

The DMAP tag is only for the dmap land that is signed up for the program. The dmap tag you have is only good on that specific dmap area that the tag is issued for. For example say I got a dmap tag for dmap #125. That dmap tag is only good for the area withing the dmap #125 designation. Its NOT good on dmap #210 or #123 etc. DMAP tags are intended to to allow land owners to offer additional tags to lower the deer numbers in very specific areas.

You cannot use the DMAP tag on your land that is not enrolled in the dmap program.

Here is more information I highly suggest you read.
https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...s/default.aspx
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
M70
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response. DMAP 3461 is a very large area over several counties. Your link provided includes another link that should lead to a participating landowners section but goes nowhere. Googled DMAP 3461 and I guess what is throwing me off is the statement at the top of the map that reads "Although these DMAP permits can be used on public and private land within the appropriate DMAP unit, hunters must receive permission from private landowners prior to hunting." To clarify, thinking it should read (private lands enrolled in the program). Thanks again and I'll keep looking for participating landowners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Thanks for the response. DMAP 3461 is a very large area over several counties. Your link provided includes another link that should lead to a participating landowners section but goes nowhere. Googled DMAP 3461 and I guess what is throwing me off is the statement at the top of the map that reads "Although these DMAP permits can be used on public and private land within the appropriate DMAP unit, hunters must receive permission from private landowners prior to hunting." To clarify, thinking it should read (private lands enrolled in the program). Thanks again and I'll keep looking for participating landowners.
That is because there is some public land enrolled in DMAP such as state forest etc. I think it is clear enough for most people to understand. I would have probably been a good idea to investigate the rules prior to obtaining the permit rather than afterward.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
M70
Regular Visitor

Yes I guess I am Stupid! No complaints about getting the permit, didn't use it yet and will fill it at a nearby game land. Planning for next week. Got a civil response and a snarky one. Batting 500
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Yes I guess I am Stupid! No complaints about getting the permit, didn't use it yet and will fill it at a nearby game land. Planning for next week. Got a civil response and a snarky one. Batting 500
No one said you are stupid. What was said was simply that preparation and knowing the rules ahead of time is a whole lot better than trying to find out the rules after the fact and playing catch up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Actually both of us are wrong. DMAP 3461 is actually a huge DMAP unit within DMA3. In this instance if your property is within the dmap unit 3461 then you can use the permit on a doe. No matter if you are successful or not remember there is mandatory reporting for dmap tags.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 PM
The Man

Ill explain my version., Until I became a member here I never knew what it was. Prior to cwd one year I started with them. I hunt Bedford county and down the road from my Pa. property is Buchannan state forest. I found out there was like 180 some dmap tags for it but at the time you had to go in to dcnr website to find this information. So on first day of license sales I purchased 2 of these. It gave me the perk if I tagged out on a buck I didn't have to abide the split season and had the option of doe hunting this large track of state forest. It was almost a secret thing not published that well. In fact the one year I half got in to trouble with a current WCO. I killed a doe and tagged accordingly. They tried to get me on killing a doe in a closed season. I produced the book and showed them and they said they never knew it. Also they had no knowledge this forest even offered those license, I was clear. Then we was the first area for a DMA. for the first 2 years they had disease tags then it went to DMAP tags of which you can purchase 2 for each unit and take a doe from first day of buck on. This is the current system I have the perk that my property is on both sides of the road and one side is one unit across the road is another unit. So I am able to have 4 dmap for my property. So I don't get confused I actually wrote on the license cabin side then across the road so if I harvest I don't place wrong tag on deer. Then you have the dmap coupon for lad owners which you have to have the application in before sometime in May. A landowner can get like 1 or 2 per50 acres un less you request more. I did that twice by filling out the application requesting a few more but had to do a comprehensive plan of why I wanted more. I was awared more and even got a call from the person doing it in the Huntigton office that he felt I had a good plan. I was issued x amount of coupons that I could hand out to whom I chose to . The person then including myself took the coupon to a license agent and paid for that stamp. I actually had my own unit number. Its a pretty good system but check the map before you hunt.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Actually both of us are wrong. DMAP 3461 is actually a huge DMAP unit within DMA3. In this instance if your property is within the dmap unit 3461 then you can use the permit on a doe. No matter if you are successful or not remember there is mandatory reporting for dmap tags.

This is correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page