Purple Paint Law Replace No Trespass Sign - Page 6 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Not really. Timber guys use what ever color they got kicking around in the back of the truck on that day.
Timber guys on public lands are usually required to use tracer paint for trees to be cut...it can be tested to verify it was marked by an authorized person. They are also supposed to store said paint under lock and key. But surprisingly enough,there is no industry wide color coding scheme.

Edit: Buckskin has been kind enough to PM me and let me know tracer paint is not used on SF/DCNR cuts. I was told it is used on National Forrest cuts by a young man who works for the USFS and assumed it was used on all public cutting.

Thanks for setting me straight Dave!
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.

Last edited by simoncool; 12-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularJoe View Post
I can't get 20 years out of a posted sign in PA. Arizona maybe but the weather here eats them up in 3 to 5 years completely. I have owned my ground 24 years and kept it posted since I made the first payment, it requires annual maintenance at a minimum to keep signs up. Purple paint huh? Glow in the dark? Can I use bright orange and yellow too? I like variegated colors the best.
UV is the main enemy of the tyvek type, unless you are under the pines I don't think a tyvek type would last all that long in arizona. Arizona has been a paint state for a long time. Tyvek is fairly impervious to water, even salt water, and temperature. The tyvek signs are VERY durable if they are not in the sun.
The state decided it damages trees to pierce the cambium layer, loggers and mills know what happens when you hit a nail with a saw. But landowners haven't had any choices with this. Purple is becoming the US standard for no trespassing. A lot of companies specifically market purple no trespassing paint.

Below is a pic of one I replaced hanging by one nail in the upper right. I've got about 5400 feet that is under canopy and a lot of it is hemlock. If the sign was still attached at 4 corners I left it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-No-H...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Article from 2000
Green Horizons Newsletter - AgEBB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg posted sign tyvek.jpg (705.8 KB, 6 views)
bohunr likes this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Timber guys on public lands are usually required to use tracer paint for trees to be cut...it can be tested to verify it was marked by an authorized person. They are also supposed to store said paint under lock and key. But surprisingly enough,there is no industry wide color coding scheme.

PM inbound
bohunr likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz View Post
UV is the main enemy of the tyvek type, unless you are under the pines I don't think a tyvek type would last all that long in arizona. Arizona has been a paint state for a long time. Tyvek is fairly impervious to water, even salt water, and temperature. The tyvek signs are VERY durable if they are not in the sun.
The state decided it damages trees to pierce the cambium layer, loggers and mills know what happens when you hit a nail with a saw. But landowners haven't had any choices with this. Purple is becoming the US standard for no trespassing. A lot of companies specifically market purple no trespassing paint.

Below is a pic of one I replaced hanging by one nail in the upper right. I've got about 5400 feet that is under canopy and a lot of it is hemlock. If the sign was still attached at 4 corners I left it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-No-H...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Article from 2000
Green Horizons Newsletter - AgEBB

that signs not legal...there is no name or number on it

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:18 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

Where in the heck did that myth ever start? Or "the signs are to far apart so they arn't legal" or my personal favorite, "If you post your land you cant hunt on it either." Ill admit I have not heard that last one in years but its still a hoot.
bohunr likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
Well, I'd tell the trespasser "What I'm about to do to you isn't exactly legal either".
bohunr likes this.
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
At least scumbags can't tear the purple stripes off the trees. I see this as a good thing.

Dedicated ones will just carry a can of gray paint to spray over it.
bohunr and limbhnger10 like this.
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
That is one good point there. Its a pain in the butt dragging a little ladder around the property boundaries all day to get the signs high enough that those people cant reach them.
When we used to post on our road front property I,d stand on the top of my 18.4-38" tires on my tractor.
bohunr likes this.
post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
They want $47 per gallon for that Majik brand purple paint.

Couldn't you just go to your local hardware store and have them mix up a gallon of purple latex paint?

Would probably cost less than half that price.

I was thinking the same.

I like the concept of the idea too of marking your boundary trees. I would also consider using both paint and signs and even going with a much longer lasting oil based paint rather than latex that would wear off quickly.
Just my 2 cents.
bohunr likes this.
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Sage

Suppose putting actual "brands" of paint in this legislation to meet requirements served a purpose, but whatever is used will eventually fade if in the sun most of the day. Rough barked trees will soak up more paint, than smooth barked trees, for another thing to consider.

And that requirement such stripes be three to five feet from the ground, really seems a bad move? Banner year for goldenrod up north last summer. Plenty of it around my place that's beyond five feet. Some legislation is so vaguely worded as to be nearly useless, this one went overboard. But hey, "standards are standards" and without them, laws are more open to interpretation by those seeking to claim ignorance?

Picked up a couple cans of purple Rust-Oleum at Ollie's this fall. Will get a few more as they become available, for $2 a spray can.Purple enough to suit me and am also keeping signs along the road frontage. Don't really care if neighbors cross lines, it's the road hunters that caused signs to go up in the first place.
bohunr likes this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page