Early Muzzy/ Bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Early Muzzy/ Bear

I think this has been brought up before but I need to ask this for a friend. My buddy is going to the Big Woods with his grandson on SR and youth day of course he is a senior. Can he take a rifle and a x bow at same time? The intent would be if he seen a bear shoot it with x bow then rifle for deer? What is the rule on this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Apparently it is okay during the early muzzleloader/bear season.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Muzzleloader Bear Season - lawful sporting arms
As we approach the beginning of the muzzleloader bear season, the Game Commission reminds hunters that those pursuing bears with a muzzleloader must leave any archery tackle behind, even if they have a valid archery license and deer tag in addition to their bear license. However, those eligible to participate in the special firearm deer and bear seasons on October 24 -26th, are permitted to use other approved sporting arms, enabling those hunter to be in possession of both a rifle and archery equipment when hunting bear or antlerless deer. We recognize and apologize for the confusion stemming from the overlap of multiple seasons and the addition of the first ever October muzzleloader bear season. If the Board of Commissioners continues authorizing the muzzleloader bear season in future years, the Board may revisit the question of which sporting arms an individual may be in possession of during the overlap of the bear season with archery season. For more information on seasons please check the Hunter-Trapper Digest which is available online at https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/...ingDigest.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:13 PM

I don't understand why you don't need a "muzzy" or "archery" stamp to hunt bear in those respective seasons.... just a bear license. Most hunters in both groups will probably have those "stamps" anyway ..... why not require them ? I mean to hunt deer with a bow you need a "stamp" and the same applies to muzzy hunters(except in reg. firearms season when you don't need a "stamp" for either weapon).
fall gobbler likes this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

So if I read this correctly, junior and senior hunters can carry a rifle and a bow the 24-26th. Everyone else it’s either bow or muzzleloader, not both.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:34 PM

If you look at the regulations, you can carry a bow and a muzzy at the same time if your hunting deer but can only carry a muzzy if hunting bear which makes no sense when muzzy deer and bear are in at the same time. So if i have a bear tag and i am hunting deer and have both weapons and a bear comes walking by i cannot shoot that bear because i have a bow. That would tick me off so i guess you have pick and shoot what your going to hunt. A lot are confused and still think they can carry both.
fall gobbler likes this.

4B
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Interesting points but I have my buddy squared away. He was unaware on that day as far as deer it was doe only. So he is just going to take his rifle and hunt bear only.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Yeah I caught the post from the PGC on facebook the other day... Glad I did... because I had every intention of taking the crossbow and the ML into the blind... Got some decent bucks, plenty of doe, and a few bears frequenting the spot... So I guess one day, I'll leave the xbow at camp and take it the next....
Pretty much guarantees I'll see the bear the day I have the crossbow, and a bruiser buck the day I don't.....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:43 AM

makes sense for PA. archery season is in, bear muzzleloader season is in, doe muzzleloader is in. but you have to choose what to carry, cant have both in the blind with you? you cant hunt buck (bow) and bear (muzzleloader) at the same time?

can i hunt doe and bear with the muzzleloader at the same time ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

Are double barreled muzzleloading rifles allowed in the early season?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page