What are the rules? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

What are the rules?

I've got some pics on my cameras that I can't 100% identify as a bear, but I'm fairly certain that's what it is. At any rate, it looks like a pig and that got me to thinking. If I'm sitting in my stand, hunting deer with my bow and this 'pig' shows up is it fair game if it is indeed a pig? I'll post the pics tonight or tomorrow as I don't have them with me right now.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!

Last edited by JasonN; 09-04-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am unsure of the rules too but i know what i would do if i saw a pig.
bohunr, JJ4D and SlickShot like this.

4B
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Let me know when and where to be for the pig roast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Save me some cheek meat!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 PM

My understanding is it's not a listed game animal it is free game!

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
I've got some pics on my cameras that I can't 100% identify as a bear, but I'm fairly certain that's what it is. At any rate, it looks like a pig and that got me to thinking. If I'm sitting in my stand, hunting deer with my bow and this 'pig' shows up is it fair game if it is indeed a pig? I'll post the pics tonight or tomorrow as I don't have them with me right now.
Yes you may shoot it if it is a wild hog unless trapping operations are going on. From the PGC website: What is their legal status?
Feral swine are protected mammals in Pennsylvania and, thus, are under the authority of the Game Commission. However, the agency has removed
protection statewide, except in counties where official eradication trapping operations are occurring. Contact a Game Commission region office for a list
of protected counties. It is illegal to interfere with any official eradication trapping efforts.
In any county where protection has been removed, however, licensed hunters and trappers may take feral swine. Takings of feral swine must be reported
to the appropriate Game Commission region office within 24 hours. It is illegal to release any animal that is a member of the Family Suidae into the wild.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 09-03-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
My understanding is it's not a listed game animal it is free game!
Not so.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Not so.
so that I can understand maybe I shouldn't have said "game"
If an animal is not mentioned I can shoot it or not.
bohunr likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
so that I can understand maybe I shouldn't have said "game"
If an animal is not mentioned I can shoot it or not.
I believe the new 2019/2020 digest has information on the legallity of shooting feral pigs, but I found it a bit confusing.....We either want them gone before we end up like Texas, or not. They have laid out a couple of rules.
bohunr likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage

<h4>

</h4>

133.1. Protected mammals

Wild mammals not defined in the act as furbearers or game animals shall be classified as protected mammals to be taken only under the act and this part. See Chapter 21, Subchapters B and C of the act (relating to destruction for agricultural protection; and destruction of game or wildlife in self-defense) and 141.3 (relating to protection removed under certain circumstances).

2101. Administration of title.
The commission shall have the authority to administer and enforce this title and all laws of this Commonwealth relating to the encouragement, promotion and development of game or wildlife conservation interests and the protection, propagation, distribution and control over game or wildlife.
34c2102s
2102. Regulations.
(a) General rule.--The commission shall promulgate such regulations as it deems necessary and appropriate concerning game or wildlife and hunting or furtaking in this Commonwealth, including regulations relating to the protection, preservation and management of game or wildlife and game or wildlife habitat, permitting or prohibiting hunting or furtaking, the ways, manner, methods and means of hunting or furtaking, and the health and safety of persons who hunt or take wildlife or may be in the vicinity of persons who hunt or take game or wildlife in this Commonwealth.

"Wild animals." All mammals other than domestic animals as defined in 1 Pa.C.S. 1991 (relating to definitions). The term shall not include a species or variation of swine, pig or boar, held in captivity.
"Wild birds." All migratory birds as defined in 50 CFR by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service of the Department of the Interior, game birds and any other birds designated by the commission, including, but not limited to, grouse, partridge, pheasant, quail and wild turkey.
"Wildlife." Wild birds, wild mammals and facsimiles thereof, regardless of classification, whether protected or unprotected, including any part, product, egg or offspring thereof, or the dead body or parts thereof (excluding fossils), whether or not included

a couple to chew on

wmu 3A

Last edited by timberdoodle; 09-03-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page