Kali Key - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Kali Key

I recently came upon this online. Its called a "Kali Key." The website says this:
"The Kali Key is the fast, cost-effective solution: In minutes, convert any mil-spec, gas operated (does not work with piston systems), AR-15 into a straight-pull bolt-action rifle. "
I recently come upon a 6.5 grendel in an AR15 platform. I got it intending to use it if, or when, semis become legal for big game. I came across this that would make it manually operated by replacing the gas key and the charging handle. Would this be able to be used? There is someone I know that only has access to a 3030 or 3006 and it is too much for her. She loves to shoot my AR and can do so with significantly increased accuracy and confidence. I wasnt sure if anyone else had went through this process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwing1 View Post
I recently came upon this online. Its called a "Kali Key." The website says this:
"The Kali Key is the fast, cost-effective solution: In minutes, convert any mil-spec, gas operated (does not work with piston systems), AR-15 into a straight-pull bolt-action rifle. "
I recently come upon a 6.5 grendel in an AR15 platform. I got it intending to use it if, or when, semis become legal for big game. I came across this that would make it manually operated by replacing the gas key and the charging handle. Would this be able to be used? There is someone I know that only has access to a 3030 or 3006 and it is too much for her. She loves to shoot my AR and can do so with significantly increased accuracy and confidence. I wasnt sure if anyone else had went through this process.
No, it would not be legal for big game or any other species not allowed now. Any altered semi auto must be permanently altered to be a bolt action, it cannot be a semi auto part time and a bold action the rest of the time for obvious reasons.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's too bad. I like the idea of a straight pull bolt action. Blazer makes some very fine straight pull's.....but man....the $$$$$. M 1895 Lee Navy's were also straight pull.......but now are collector items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage

Yeah, I have some friends that have them, use them in Africa, the interchangeable barrels are a good feature as well.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
No, it would not be legal for big game or any other species not allowed now. Any altered semi auto must be permanently altered to be a bolt action, it cannot be a semi auto part time and a bold action the rest of the time for obvious reasons.
Do you happen to have the code that says that?
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage

The code says that semi autos are illegal, except for the exceptions of certain species. The interpretation is that a semi auto is a semi auto unless it is permanently rendered not a semi auto. That interpretation has held up in court. If you can go into the field with parts and tools in your backpack and do a conversion to return a rifle to semi auto, you do not have a bolt action rifle. I cannot convert my bolt action or lever action rifles to semi auto because they are bolt action and lever action and don't have the infrastructure to be a semi, what you are talking about is a semi auto that is temporarily a bolt action, not a bolt action but temporarily so. The law does not consider temporary conversions. I suggest you talk to the PGC if what I posted is not satisfactory.
bohunr and Steeltrap like this.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM

not to cause trouble. but i was of the understanding a person could use a semi auto rifle to hunt big game IF...it was "converted" to function as a single shot. one shot, no shell ejected.
the person would have to pull the charging handle back to eject the shell, just like a bolt action.

This "conversion" must also not be capable of being returned to semi auto mode in the field and the person must not have those parts in their possession.

i viewed the video...it turns your semi auto rifle into a manually operated bolt action, complete with a gas block that you need to install using tools.
its not a quick switch.

just for fun i e-mailed the PGC.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 07-15-2019 at 08:07 PM.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Sage

Unless it was changed, it was the gun had to be permanently altered, it is still a semi auto by definition it only altered temporarily. That is why I told him to contact the PGC in case there was a change.
bohunr and Steeltrap like this.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 PM

i understand. if the PGC tells me its legal...i see a purchase in my future. and of course a new gun...my AR is 5.56, plenty enough for deer with the right bullet and placement but i can use it as an excuse to get a 6.5 grendel or .308

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm going to call my PGC office tomorrow and see if they could elaborate. If it is allowed, I want to get it in writing to prevent an issue in the field. This would also be nice for me as a lefty and bolts are a problem to me. I do have a 760 but looking for something new and I as well am a lot more confident shooting my AR, as I shoot groundhogs out to 260 and steel to 400.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in