14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Arms & Ammunition

Can anyone decipher this?

Seen this in the past and it rolled off my back

Page 23 of current digest.
Persons hunting deer in archery seasons may not possess a firearm, except those individuals who have a
License to Carry Firearms permit, and then only those firearms authorized by the permit (most sporting firearms are not authorized).

I've had a LTCF since 2015 and it doesn't list a specific firearm. Depending on where I hunt I carry my 40 S & W.
So what the heck are they saying?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Sage

What they are saying is you may carry a handgun while archery hunting in the archery season ifyou have a license to carry a firearm.(concealed Carry license). It is for self defense only.
flintlock hunter likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM

So is my AR15 with a 30 round mag and optic and sig brace legal? it's registered as a hand gun and my conceal permit allows it to be taken in the vehicle.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage

It must be a handgun to be legal because you cannot get a license to carry for a long gun. I don't know what that firearm you designated in your post, post a picture.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
What they are saying is you may carry a handgun while archery hunting in the archery season ifyou have a license to carry a firearm.(concealed Carry license). It is for self defense only.
I get that much but what are they saying when it states (and then only those firearms authorized by the permit)?
and most sporting arms are not authorized. Do they mean my 357 Revolver?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Okay so it's any handgun, the curve ball is (most sporting firearms are not authorized)
Isn't a 357 or 44 mag. revolver considered a sporting firearm. I know several guys who hunt with them.
Not trying to split hairs here but this could easily be misinterpreted.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
It must be a handgun to be legal because you cannot get a license to carry for a long gun. I don't know what that firearm you designated in your post, post a picture.
It is considered a pistol has to go out on a state police form not just a 4473.

FYI this is a generic picture. Not my gun since it's at home, im at work and they look basically the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARpistol.jpg (57.4 KB, 135 views)

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Okay so it's any handgun, the curve ball is (most sporting firearms are not authorized)
Isn't a 357 or 44 mag. revolver considered a sporting firearm. I know several guys who hunt with them.
Not trying to split hairs here but this could easily be misinterpreted.
A sporting is a firearm that s used for hunting, if you hunt with a .357 or .44 revolver it is your sporting arm. If a semi auto handgun was legal to hunt with in PA it would could be called a sporting arm when you are hunting with it. The key to your question hinges on two things, #1, is it a handgun, two, do you possess a valid license to carry a firearm? That is all there is to it, and it is legal for self defense only.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post

FYI this is a generic picture. Not my gun since it's at home, im at work and they look basically the same.
This is the definition of a handgun on bold. ::"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

I will not answer you question if you can carry that gun for self defense while archery hunting because I don't know enough about the over all length or barrel length. I do know it isn't anything I would want to carry for self defense if I was bow hunting. If you are serious about wanting to know if you can carry it, I suggest you contact the PGC either in person or with photos and measurements.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post

You must be expecting some serious trouble at your treestand.....
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page