Arms & Ammunition - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
You must be expecting some serious trouble at your treestand.....
More from people not from critters.

I don't actually carry anything like this for hunting, Just throwing it out as it is 100% a hand gun under state and federal law 7.5" barrel and the ATF has on multiple occasions sent out letters on how the "sig brace" is not a stock so it isn't a SBR rifle it is infact a pistol. I was only curious on the idea if the PGC was going to honor it's legal classification.
Bigbrownie likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:44 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'm curious why this seems to be limited to archery season...? Would be nice to have it be provided to all seasons to carry a defensive firearm under an LTCF.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
I'm curious why this seems to be limited to archery season...? Would be nice to have it be provided to all seasons to carry a defensive firearm under an LTCF.
You may, so long as it is only used for self defense in seasons where a center fire may not be used, or it is a legal handgun for hunting whatever you are hunting.

2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others

(a) General rule.--It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa.C.S. 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.

(b) Construction.--

(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of a firearm or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.

(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa.C.S. 6102 (relating to definitions).

"Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa.C.S. 6102 (relating to definitions).

(Nov. 29, 2006, P.L.1462, No.162, eff. 60 days)
flintlock hunter likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Ahhh, I see the section about it superseding other prohibitions.

There is a prohibition against possessing a handgun in turkey season in the digest. If I read the snippet of code you posted, WW, that should mean a handgun for self defense can be carried in spring turkey season, so long as its not used to harvest or attempt to harvest any animals...?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
A sporting is a firearm that s used for hunting, if you hunt with a .357 or .44 revolver it is your sporting arm. If a semi auto handgun was legal to hunt with in PA it would could be called a sporting arm when you are hunting with it. The key to your question hinges on two things, #1, is it a handgun, two, do you possess a valid license to carry a firearm? That is all there is to it, and it is legal for self defense only.
I said in my original post I've had a LTCF since 2015. I carry a semi auto 40 S & W handgun. which I can legally carry during archery season
for self defense.
It's states the only firearm you could carry is the one authorized by the permit.
Then goes on to say most sporting firearms are not authorized. Well which ones are and which ones aren't?

Just pointing out can anyone beyond me see a gray area here and it does sound confusing?
Just read the hole paragraph on page 23.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Last edited by Potter Co. Joe; 06-24-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
I said in my original post I've had a LTCF since 2015. I carry a semi auto 40 S & W handgun. which I can legally carry during archery season
for self defense.
It's states the only firearm you could carry is the one authorized by the permit.
Then goes on to say most sporting firearms are not authorized. Well which ones are and which ones aren't?

Just pointing out can anyone beyond me see a gray area here and it does sound confusing?
Just read the hole paragraph on page 23.

Firearms meeting the criteria below are allowed:

TITLE 18:

CHAPTER 61SUBCHAPTER A

UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT

6102. Definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Ahhh, I see the section about it superseding other prohibitions.

There is a prohibition against possessing a handgun in turkey season in the digest. If I read the snippet of code you posted, WW, that should mean a handgun for self defense can be carried in spring turkey season, so long as its not used to harvest or attempt to harvest any animals...?
Yes that is does.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
Firearms meeting the criteria below are allowed:

TITLE 18:

CHAPTER 61SUBCHAPTER A

UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT

6102. Definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
I must have missed this in the Digest.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 PM

My previous post "Firearms" definition (in bold) was from the actual Uniform Firearms Act (Title 18), not from the PGC Digest.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
My previous post "Firearms" definition (in bold) was from the actual Uniform Firearms Act (Title 18), not from the PGC Digest.
My Point exactly, Thanks for making it for me.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page