Shooting garden visitors-legal? - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 106Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 05:58 PM
The Man

Build That Wall!!
bohunr, beagler and ruger300 like this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehunter View Post
Build That Wall!!
A wall will only keep the tomatoes, potatoes, corn, and what have you - IN. It will not keep the moles, bunnies, deer and neighborhood kids - OUT.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #33 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use Liquid Fence and a scare crow for deer. Pie tins on a string work good. Sprinkle stuff down with Neptunes Harvest. it's a fertilizer that critters don't like to eat. Box trap for coons and stuff that doesn't get the point of the other stuff.
bohunr and Laylow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM

My garden pests have pretty much been wiped out by the neighborhood cats..... just need some yotes to take care of the kitties

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #35 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehunter View Post
Build That Wall!!
The rabbits, groundhogs and other garden pests eat the vegetables that Americans don't want to eat...

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #36 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole View Post
My garden pests have pretty much been wiped out by the neighborhood cats..... just need some yotes to take care of the kitties
I have a real pretty tabby that hangs around my place for the last 3 years. It’s about half tame, it’ll let me get a few feet from it before it runs. It sits on my woodpile and catches chipmunks and mice, and since it showed up I haven’t had any mice in the shed where I store my beekeeping stuff. Yesterday it caught a small groundhog....that’s a tough cat.
post #37 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-16-2019, 10:45 PM
The Man

Where I live in Md. I have 2 nice size gardens with fence around it. Still critters find there way in kind of element of the beast animals looking for food. My place is infested with rabbits guess no foxes around. I once threw a rock not trying to hit a rabbit but it took 2 skips and hit the rabbit. Couldn't of done that if I tried and caught crap from my wife all night. I really like the comment from the guy that would put out poison or anti freeze, real smart!!! I would hate the thought of my pet or my neighbors pet getting in to that or any kind of wildlife.
post #38 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Several years ago we had many food plots on the property for the deer and game. One year I had no time for food plots and planted 900 ft of Kenebeck Potatoes. Well the deer thought it was thier food plot. Several times I warned them that I had a majic wand that turned tator tops into venison. They ate all 900 ft of tops. Come deer season I had a small army gathered to wave some wands. Hey, I warned them.

This year it's about 250' of tators that they have not bothered yet.

They sell motion detectors that are 360 degrees of coverage. This can be rigged to a plethora of things to deter wildlife. Even a recording module could be used and a new sound each night. My uncle used to leave a talk show type radio station on over his garden at night.

Woodchucks that dig under are caught next trip in after discovering dig under, or shot.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #39 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-23-2019, 10:01 AM

A farmer that bordered a GL near me tried blasting a recording of "bad rock band practice" not sure if it was motion or timed. The first "strum" in the evenings was almost enough to jar you out of a tree stand LOL. By the middle of archery the deer didn't pay any attention to it - still got on my nerves though. He did not use it the following year.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #40 of 78 (permalink) Unread 06-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Feroce View Post
Several years ago we had many food plots on the property for the deer and game. One year I had no time for food plots and planted 900 ft of Kenebeck Potatoes. Well the deer thought it was thier food plot. Several times I warned them that I had a majic wand that turned tator tops into venison. They ate all 900 ft of tops. Come deer season I had a small army gathered to wave some wands. Hey, I warned them.

This year it's about 250' of tators that they have not bothered yet.

They sell motion detectors that are 360 degrees of coverage. This can be rigged to a plethora of things to deter wildlife. Even a recording module could be used and a new sound each night. My uncle used to leave a talk show type radio station on over his garden at night.

Woodchucks that dig under are caught next trip in after discovering dig under, or shot.
Your experience with deer eating potato plants is interesting. I’ve grown potatoes for 50 years, and always told folks that potatoes were one thing in the garden that critters won’t bother. ( other than garlic and onions ). Different deer must develope different tastes for things from the garden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in