Baiting FYI - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Come on man. I hope you are being facetious. Comparing even a 1/4 acre food plot to a pile of feed or a trough is not even close.....besides plots that are 1 or 2 acres big.

A powered feeder that scatters the feed is a little better area-wise, but still no comparison to a food plot.

Should we give farmers a minimum field size when planting corn/beans/alfalfa? In your mind, how big would the field need to be to not be considered a food plot concentrating deer?

big enough to harvest and actually harvest it. if its not being harvested its a food plot and a form of supplemental feed aka bait.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
as should food plots. they both concentrate deer to a specific area.
And then where do we go from there? Apple and pear trees, then to mast crops in certain years?
R. S. B., bohunr and bigguy54 like this.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
big enough to harvest and actually harvest it. if its not being harvested its a food plot and a form of supplemental feed aka bait.
So then you think the Game Commission should stop maintaining the hundreds of thousands of acres of small food plots they have scattered all across this state?

Even though those food plots provide much needed food for deer, bear and turkeys during some of the most crucial times of the year it is with certainty that some hunters benefit by killing game near them. You think wildlife and hunters interested would be best served if they stopped planting and maintaining them?

How about our Pheasants Forever Chapter that plants over 50 acres of row crops on the game lands every year just to help hold the pheasants there through the fall and winter hunting seasons. Should we stop doing that too?

I simply don't understand that line of thinking.

Dick Bodenhorn
DennyF and bigguy54 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:19 PM

not at all. i am in favor of all forms of supplemental feeding. i just wish they would let farmers plant crops on the SGL's again. 218 in Erie County use to have crops planted that attracted a ton of waterfowl and other game. the SGL's near the Erie wild life refuge use to have crops planted there as well as on the refuge...but not any more.

i wish they would bring that back.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
False. No comparison between the nutrition from a food plot vs. a bait pile of corn or apples. Aside from energy in carbohydrate form, corn is a fairly poor food stuff for deer....not to mention the threat of rumen acidosis with corn piles. Apple piles can start to ferment, causing gastric issues for deer eating them.

Lactating does and bucks growing antlers benefit greatly from a high protein food source (think clover, soybeans, chicory, rye, even some weeds that grow in food plot openings).

If a hunter does not have the ability to do food plots, a few hours spent with a chainsaw is much, much more beneficial than a bait pile.

Supplemental feeding definitely has its place for those that choose to do it....corn and apples are certainly not great choices. A soybean-based feed would be a better selection - higher protein.

Also, when considering a food plot and a bait pile....food plots can certainly concentrate deer in a certain area (similar to a soybean or alfalfa field), but a bait pile really concentrates deer into one spot. A food plot can be up to a few acres big....a 2-acre plot covers 87,120 square feet, and bait pile covers just a hand full of square footage.

We plant food plots to help multiple critters including deer, not simply for pulling deer in for a close shot - a few quick examples.....

- Clover for rabbits...groundhogs are big fans as well (plus the bunnies love the brush piles created during the clearing of a food plot area)

- Millions of bugs in the clover plots for hen turkeys and their poults - a great high protein food source for mama and chicks (and other birds that feed on insects)

- June Barley seeds for turkeys and turkey poults - turkey poults can fly into roost trees sooner with a high quality food source like this, resulting in less poult mortality

- Rye for early/mid-summer fawning cover

- Clover, rye, barley, oats, beans, peas for spring, summer, fall, and winter deer forage
Over 90% of food plots planted by hunters in PA. are kill plots and no different then using feeders that aren't mechanical or bait piles. The reasons I say this is because unfortunately 90 +% of PA. hunters plant small plots because they don't have enough land available to them to plant enough acres of plots to see any noticeable difference to the health of the herd, antler size or other species of wildlife etc. So the only benefit they are seeing is that it makes it easier to kill deer. And to be honest most hunters (in any state) wouldn't plant food plots if it wasn't for that reason.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm 100% anti baiting due to the increased risk of spreading disease and also the harm it causes our herd by feeding deer during the winter months but other then that, lets stop fibbing to ourselves..... most food plots planted by hunters are no different then putting down feed on the ground when it comes to the health of our herd and other species of wildlife.
How many acres of food plots does someone need to plant to see a noticeable difference of the health etc. of their herd? On average you need to plant 1 acre of YEAR ROUND food plot for every 3 -4 deer that reside in the area depending on the health of the habitat in a particular area. And over 90% of us don't have access to that much tillable ground.
bohunr likes this.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......

Last edited by ShedSeeker; 04-11-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page