“25 yards from traveled portion of road” - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

“25 yards from traveled portion of road”

Does this mean exactly what it sounds like. We often see bench hunters set up near camp on rt44. We have what we think is a good long range spot out to 917yds. But we would be setting on the shoulder of a road that sees less then a 1/2 dozen cars a day. Legal?

Didn't vote for the husband. Not voting for the wife. #Liars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Sage

The 25 yard law is meant for people who are driving around and see an animal, then the person must get 25 yards into the field that the animal is in after they stop and park and before they may try to take the animal. It is a law designed to prevent road hunting. Those long range shooters who set up along roads are perfectly legal because they were not driving around looking for deer 1000 yards away. In addition, if you are on foot, you may shoot from the shoulder of the road if you see an animal. Stepping out of a vehicle that was moving is the key to this law.
willyp, bohunr, loridr and 2 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 AM

In one of the areas I flintlock hunt, one of my favorite rests is off a guardrail. That particular road runs above a thick swamp. I sneak along it and often times catch deer laying down in there.
drags likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Sage

I've killed a few deer from the shoulder of the gravel twp. road in front of our camp. Sometimes I go down over the bank and sit there, with the road behind me.

Good a place to be as anywhere else around there, when deer are running about in the field across the road. That's where I killed a doe 20 years ago with my dad's WWII bring back Mauser and issue sights, after the old boy had passed away.

When the locals drive the hollow across from camp, that's where many of the watchers usually post, but they go down into the field to be 25 yards out.

Had a guy drive up years ago and tell me it wasn't legal to shoot from there. Told him I'd walked down the driveway and across the road to be there, which is why there was no vehicle present.

He still insisted I was violating the law and drove off, after I suggested he move along - or words to that effect.

bohunr, drags, bigguy54 and 5 others like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The 25 yard law is meant for people who are driving around and see an animal, then the person must get 25 yards into the field that the animal is in after they stop and park and before they may try to take the animal. It is a law designed to prevent road hunting. Those long range shooters who set up along roads are perfectly legal because they were not driving around looking for deer 1000 yards away. In addition, if you are on foot, you may shoot from the shoulder of the road if you see an animal. Stepping out of a vehicle that was moving is the key to this law.

WW, I agree with what you are saying, but, out of curiosity, wouldn't that be "locating game by use of a vehicle?" Never really understood how that worked.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage

Actually, road hunting could bring both charges, using a vehicle to locate game and failure to get 25 yards off the highway after alighting and shooting. It is not unusual to have both charges filed if the defendant is see road hunting prior to jumping out and shooting.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM
The Man

Im in to long range shooting and hunting also. I even asked a wco couple years ago explaining what I do for my set up and he said it is fine. The second week is my long range week at my buddys farm. I only shoot for doe since I don't care to take a buck from them even though it would be fine if I have a buck tag. I pull back In to a certain part of a field where I can see 3 different directions. The minimum shot I take is 400 and can see out to 1k yards. I have a custom portable bench I built and I sit it up maybe 10 yards from my truck with folding chair. I then have my adjustable rest and bag on bench. The gun is sitting sat up ready for action but I don't even have a round in it until im ready to shoot. Sometimes I even sit in the truck makes it easier glassing then move back to my chair. Even when im in my truck my f/o is on. I did explain this to WCO that I didn't want to be in wrong since at times I sit back in truck , he said it was fine since I really didn't locate deer from it or have loaded gun in it. I figured since the way my set was I could be seen and watched just as well.
bigguy54 and Waynzee like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 PM

one year i was eating lunch in the truck during deer season instead of my treestand as i also wanted to get warm. i looked up the road and two doe were crossing the road about 60 yards away onto my side of the road. i was parked next a field, the doe were going into that field. i slowly opened the door, pulled my rifle out, closed the door, and crawled into the field thru knee deep snow while loading my gun.

they eventually caught me and ran off before i could get a shot. i stood up and looked back and saw what looked like every deer in the woods, starting to cross the road. i knelt back down and got into a good position and watched every deer cross until the last one was in the field, 20 something deer and NO BUCKS..then i realized i better take a shot.

took a nice mature doe. when i was crawling thru all that snow i was trying to make sure i was 25 yards off the road...DUH...now i know better.

Thank You
bigguy54, outofstater and Waynzee like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:03 AM
The Man

Knew a guy that was ule deer hunting out west thinking Co. but not sure. He was standing by his vehicle for some time glassing, hunting, etc. A game warden pulls up and decides to stand and talk to him for some time. He spots some deer around 500 yards and the warden was even helping him glass also. He said this warden was a heck of a nice guy but I wished he would leave so I could shoot off of the hood. He told him he was not comfortable taking the shot and the deer walked away after some time. They sat and talked for awhile and the guy finally said I wished you would of left me shoot leaning over the hood. The warden said I couldn't believe you didn't try, after all its legal to do so.

The first time I went to Co. and was thru an outfitter, and this guy was a saint of being legal. The first morning driving to the ranch we was going to hunt about 300 yards before we got there he pulled over. There was 3 of us in the suburban, he said get out and load your guns but don't want any in the chamber. I said what do you mean? He said I don't want all of that noise up there when we get out to hunt of cases banging and fumbling over ammo. I said you mean you want us to have a loaded gun in a vehicle. The other guy laughed and said just don't put one in the chamber its legal to do this out here to have them in the magazine but not chambered. I thought now 40 years of the top pet peeve rule imbedded in me since a kid it sure did not feel right.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Sage

Ever seen some of the rigs guys use to spend the day shooting prairie dogs out west?

Two of the people I used to hunt woodchucks with here in PA, built a box insert for a truck, just for dog shooting when they went out west. Rubber "deck plate" cover on the box. Partly to make if weather proof, partly so they didn't slip when sitting on it. Brackets for a canopy; Bases on top for boat swivel chairs w/attached gun rests; Secure storage in the box itself.

Could've been just as handy here in PA for 'chuck hunting, but it's not legal in PA.

Lots of things are legal and acceptable in many other states when it comes to hunting, but a no-go here. OTOH, most of those states don't have 800,000 hunters afield at the same time each year?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page