“25 yards from traveled portion of road” - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
Ever seen some of the rigs guys use to spend the day shooting prairie dogs out west?

Two of the people I used to hunt woodchucks with here in PA, built a box insert for a truck, just for dog shooting when they went out west. Rubber "deck plate" cover on the box. Partly to make if weather proof, partly so they didn't slip when sitting on it. Brackets for a canopy; Bases on top for boat swivel chairs w/attached gun rests; Secure storage in the box itself.

Could've been just as handy here in PA for 'chuck hunting, but it's not legal in PA.

Lots of things are legal and acceptable in many other states when it comes to hunting, but a no-go here. OTOH, most of those states don't have 800,000 hunters afield at the same time each year?
What is not legal about it in PA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Can't shoot from a vehicle in PA. (Absent a special handicapped certification) A blind in the back of a truck would be illegal, except for certain handicapped individuals.

2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any of the following:

(i) A motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.

(ii) A motorized wheelchair if the person has been issued a permit to hunt under section 2923(a.1) (relating to disabled person permits).

As for hunting close to a road, has anyone actually read the law. Not the comic book, but the law?

2504. Shooting on or across highways.

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is on a public highway or on a highway open to use or used by the public or to shoot across a public highway or a highway or roadway open to use or used by the public unless the line of fire is high enough above the elevation of the highway to preclude any danger to the users of the highway. It shall be unlawful for any person, after alighting from a motor vehicle being driven on or stopped on or along a public highway or road open to public travel, to shoot at any wild bird or wild animal while the person doing the shooting is within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the public highway or road open to public travel.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
What is not legal about it in PA?
Jeff, this is the controlling section of the law for your question:

2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded. The exceptions in this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Jeff, this is the controlling section of the law for your question:

2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded. The exceptions in this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.
Ok,thanks. I was checked by a deputy warden once when I was parked in a field with tailgate down, rifle on rest across tailgate, I was sitting beside it using it like a bench watching a far 800 yd fence line for groundhogs. Only thing he said was don,t have a loaded rifle in the cab when you leave. Guess he cut me a break.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage

Sounds like he did. They don'rt write them all.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM
The Man

If im riding my ranger say from my cabin to certain tree stand of which I do on my own ground. I know my gun has to be unloaded and always is, also I know I cant stop it and shoot from it. But if I was to see deer, etc., do I have to be a full 25 yards from it as I explained?
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 AM
Sage

2504. Shooting on or across highways.

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is on a public highway or on a highway open to use or used by the public or to shoot across a public highway or a highway or roadway open to use or used by the public unless the line of fire is high enough above the elevation of the highway to preclude any danger to the users of the highway. It shall be unlawful for any person, after alighting from a motor vehicle being driven on or stopped on or along a public highway or road open to public travel, to shoot at any wild bird or wild animal while the person doing the shooting is within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the public highway or road open to public travel.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
If im riding my ranger say from my cabin to certain tree stand of which I do on my own ground. I know my gun has to be unloaded and always is, also I know I cant stop it and shoot from it. But if I was to see deer, etc., do I have to be a full 25 yards from it as I explained?

When you say "ranger", I'm assuming it's an ATV/UTV ? If so, per WW's post, it seems you'd be ok to just step off, load up, and have at it.
Appears the key is the road being "open to the public", which in your case the assumption it isn't a true road open to public ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:28 PM
The Man

I should of said my Polaris 500 ranger sxs. I knew about the road of course but yes going thru woods of my own property " a path " I don't ride my property for the sake of riding during hunting season. However my one stand in particular is like 300 yards from my cabin mainly up a hill side that I ride up to my stand on ranger. Many times I have seen some does but just kept on going. I do use my ranger on other parts of my property only such as transporting a deer I shot instead of dragging.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page