Neighbor shooting across my property - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessajon View Post
I can fly a drone over your property..I can also shoot over your property. It isn't trespassing..and it is LEGAL! That safety zone scenario is just hogwash! There is nothing any LEO or lawyer could do for you..even though a lot of guys on this message board try to play the part of a LEO or lawyer, but truth is they only slept in a Holiday Inn last night! LOL!

Judging from the above essay, I believe you only spent a few hours at the Holiday Inn (Express) last night.
DennyF, bohunr, Buff and 6 others like this.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessajon View Post
I can fly a drone over your property..I can also shoot over your property. It isn't trespassing..and it is LEGAL! That safety zone scenario is just hogwash! There is nothing any LEO or lawyer could do for you..even though a lot of guys on this message board try to play the part of a LEO or lawyer, but truth is they only slept in a Holiday Inn last night! LOL!

you would be wrong
BBB, outofstater and 4x4dad like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Part of the Community

Your right..drones are a waste of money! I like Google Maps! They are free!
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post

From what I have been told in the past, that unless you have permission, you cannot shoot over someone else's property if there is a SZ involved. No matter the elevation.
Not the case, the elevation needed above a building would be the safety zone limit- 450 feet.

At least that's how it was explained to me by a PGC warden several years ago.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Not the case, the elevation needed above a building would be the safety zone limit- 450 feet.

At least that's how it was explained to me by a PGC warden several years ago.

The safety zone elevation definition is defined in Title 34 as:

... that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for all of the replies. It definitely sounds like I need to speak to PSP or an attorney to understand what the law states. In this particular case, the land is not near any structures and would not be a SZ. However, If I am on my own land and someone is shooting over my property at my head level, I would think I have the law on my side. The neighbor is definitely not shooting way above me...Ö
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
The safety zone elevation definition is defined in Title 34 as:

... that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.
Well then, it's a lot lower than I was told. I knew shooting over buildings at some elevation was legal. Doesn't really affect me one way or the other as I don't plan on shooting over any buildings.

Thanks for the clarification.
Pa-Plinker likes this.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I decided to bring my daughter to a hunter safety course this weekend and I got a chance to speak with the game warden. He basically told me that there is nothing illegal about the neighbor shooting across my property. However, he said it does become a legal issue if I am present on the property that he is shooting across. As with others on this post, he suggested that I contact an attorney to draw up a letter to the neighbor indicating that I am aware of him shooting across the property and that my family and I will be on the property and that legal action will be taken if he continues to shoot across the property when we are there.

After that, he laughingly told me that if I put up a small shed in the area, then the neighbor could be dealing with safety zone issues because of the possibility that I am in that building.
bohunr, 4x4dad and blackpowder like this.
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:04 AM

buy a used one and put it there or just build one as cheaply as possible and store something in it like a used weed whacker for clearing trails

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
After that, he laughingly told me that if I put up a small shed in the area, then the neighbor could be dealing with safety zone issues because of the possibility that I am in that building.
It sounds to me that your property is narrow in the disputed area...if so I wouldn't recommend setting up a shed...remember, your neighbor can do the same....personally I don't see the big deal about shooting over your property...unless it happens when your between your neighbor and his intended target...just my $0.02 on your issue.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page