The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Ravin crossbow

5K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  arrowhead 
#1 ·
Does anybody’s pockets run deep enough to have one of these? I was in Field and Stream today. I shouldered one of these. Man are they sweet. If I ever get a windfall I would love one.
Not knowing anything about them. Warranty, bolts required , issues. They are nice looking
Like Corvette parked next to a Yugo.

#2 ·
They are a relatively new company so there is not much of a history of how well they last. The owner of the company is a longtime crossbow guy though. Nice feature is being able to de-cock it without firing a bolt. I have heard a few people who have them and really like them so far.

#3 ·
My son got one, shot it on Sunday evening. Flat shooting, the limb width is amazing, great for shooting behind the tree without having to worry about the limbs catching, similar to a Tenpoint Stealth, only much narrower. The cranking system is a bit loud. One thing I noticed looking through the scope, on the glass, it appears the word "Keep Fingers Below" appears to look like "Heep Fingers Below". At 60 yds was shooting 1" groups, was hoping to try it at 100, but we ran out of daylight.

#10 ·
For the price the warranty is a bit lacking in my opinion, that along with having to use their bolts or warranty is void is a big draw back. If it was a 800 dollar xbow the warranty would be fine but for 1500 I want a guarantee I am getting more than 5 years of service!

#6 ·
A guy at work showed me his and he took it to maryland and shot a buck with it. He likes it alot. I shouldered it and was impressed with the feel of it. I liked the way the scope is setup. I would not be able to afford something like that but I liked it alot. One of the main things I like is the bolt does not ride on the rail.

#14 ·
I have the r9 and this thing fast,light and compac.crank system is nice easy to use,you can hold the button in and crank with out and noise and I can decock it with the crank and not have to shoot it.you can use other arrows but will void the warranty,the arrows have a uni bushing and you can buy their nock so you can build your on arrows being they are (I THINK 400GR ARROW WEIGHT).

#22 ·
at what point do you put a stop to the technology that takes bow/cross bow hunting beyond fair chase? These Ravins are pretty much a gun with that range..... not a fan.
My personal opinion on this is... if shooting a deer with a rifle that shoots 200 plus yards is fair chase in gun season...then it is fair chase to use this in archery season..."fair chase" is something we choose for ourselves within the parameters of the laws.

#24 ·
I am thinking about buying one but can't wrap my head around the cash outlay either. I like the narrow design, the crank cock/decock seems very slick, the longer range is an obvious plus if it true. I can't seem to find enough info on anybody who has shot one and says it is clearly head and shoulder above all the rest though either. I'm on the fence but watching carefully.

#25 ·
To answer the question--Would I buy one? Yes--if I in fact had the need for a new crossbow, and had the spare money at the time.
NOW--I recently looked at their ad once again in a magazine. Phrases like--"Your next rifle", and "3 inch groups at 100 yards" are for me NOT responsible advertising. A crossbow is NOT a rifle--it is STILL a relatively short range weapon. I know guys who hunt the west taking antelope at ranges of 80 yards. ANY animal can, and will move just when you least expect it to--taking long range shots with even a weapon such as a Ravin crossbow is totally irresponsible for my ethics--keep in mind--MY ethics. Others may choose to do so, but I would not. Three inch groups at 100 yards--that's awesome--great for shooting foam, and targets. most of today's modern crossbows can hold groups like that. My current crossbow will hold 1-2 inch groups at 60 yards--I would NEVER attempt to shoot at game that far though.
Again--would I own, or purchase a Ravin crossbow? YES--they are an awesome piece of machinery. However their advertising leaves me a little miffed. IT IS NOT your next rifle--it's a crossbow, and it's still a short range weapon. If you want to shoot animals at 100 yards, and greater--use a center fire rifle--make a clean kill.

#26 ·
No I wouldn't buy one, just too much money.

Far as accurate at 100 yards: In their current TV add they shoot the bow next to a rifle at 100 yards. Accurate? Yes, but you can clearly see the bolt as it transverses that distance and mid trajectory it's two or three FEET high. As Curver pointed out, no different than most modern compounds and crossbows.

#27 ·
Ethics is an entire new topic, one thing for sure, they have changed a great deal among bow hunters in the 35 years I been doing it. In fairness though, today's equipment is much different than it was 35 years ago too. Back when round wheel compounds were the main offering, and most arrow rests were still off the shelf or a flipper with a berger button, nobody had a laser range finder, arrows were mostly aluminum, mechanical broadheads? What? And no one had a laser rangefinder or hunted over a food plot either. The individualized nature of the sport is here and what you do isn't for everyone, and quite possibly neither is what they do right for you, you dig?

I would have to shoot one of these beasts to be able to say I would not take a 60 yard shot with it. I have killed deer with a vertical out to 57 yards and it can be done if the right shot and conditions (also another topic) present themselves and the shooter is well practiced at that range, again not for every shooter. I don't shoot that far today because I don't have the practice time invested to be what I consider lethal at that range. Not looking to start a debate on the issue, but the extended range is one of the main reasons I would even consider buying one. I am not quite convinced this delivers that over and above all others and warrants a $1500-2000 price point. I got used to bows costing several hundred to replace, I even kind of gave up caring what hunting stuff cost me years ago because I don't smoke or have a drug habit so this is my outlet, but this seems like a heavy price to me for not much more than the rest of the field already offers...

#30 ·
I've owned both the R-9 and the R-15. Its my opinion that both are worth the money. They are everything I'd ever want in a crossbow. Lightweight, narrow and fast. Arrows are easy to build, the crank system can be silent and you can de-cock it at the end of the day. Mine have been very reliable and accurate. Worth every penny to me and they fit my style of hunting.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.