Question on rehydrating frozen pelts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Question on rehydrating frozen pelts

I have a few coon that didnt get fully dried out and ended more or less freeze drying in my garage when the weather turned bad here. I did everything I could to keep it warm enough to dry but now Ive got 2 that are dry to the touch and mostly a white appearance. Another with just a spot up around the neck area. What should I do to remedy this if they are salvageable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Question on rehydrating frozen pelts

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap hairdryer. Works great on soaking wet animals like coon, mink and muskrat. You don't want to put it on a hot air setting because it can ruin the hide.

If you left these coon to hang and dry then slowly froze you may have some rot on your coons. If you don't throw them in a freezer right away then they need to be skinned as soon as possible.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think I stated that wrong. These are skinned and fleshed on stretchers. I usually keep my wood stove going, but ran out of dry wood, then got snow and freezing temps for too long and they 'froze' rather than dried on the stretchers. They are dry to the touch, they just didnt brown like they normally would in warmer temps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 AM

Let em hang longer....some guys especially up north DO freeze dry pelts...takes longer..but its fine...if you can get a fan on them that's the biggest thing that'll help...

When the nose is rock hard and dry you can usually take them off..if a coon neck isn't dry and the nose is my guess is maybe it wasn't fleshed good enough...

I don't heat my garage...its "in the house" but not heated..and the door is opened a few times a day...it can be pretty chilly in there...my stuff dries fine.. Just takes a few more days when its cold out
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Part of the Community

As 06 stated it won't hurt a thing. I'm rather fussy about my fur put up. In the past when I've had that issue, I would bring my fur into the house for a couple days. If they haven't been super burnt taking all of the natural oils out of the hide, the heat will draw out the oil left in the hides, "Rehydrating" them.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM
kdr
Part of the Community

Most likely you're pelt froze the night after you put it up and on the stretcher. The pelt didn't have time to dry before the temp's dipped and it froze....that's what causes the pelt to turn the whitish color that you describe. I don't think there is a way to reverse this but i wouldn't worry as it shouldn't effect the pelt itself.

kris
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ok thats more what I was wondering, they are dried out now. Nose is rock hard dry, even when the temps warmed up a bit, they didnt soften up. They just have a different dry look than the rest. Was trying to take them to the nafa pickup this saturday and wanted to make sure they were going to be pitched.

Ive been pretty picky with them and these were caught in late january and are some of the nicest coon I've got this year!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page