Trap stakes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Trap stakes

Back in the 70's someone gave me some flat steel tapered stakes. There was something special about the taper and these stakes were the best stake I ever used. You could drive them anywhere and if you hit them left or right you could usually pull them. I added a swivel at the stake and I never had an animal pull them out. Does anyone use these or know where I can get any. I did give a lot of these away to other trappers and I'm thinking maybe someone on here has one and could give me the dimensions. Thanks

long for the woods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
The Man

Re: Trap stakes

Just a word of caution, from the description, it sounds like a coyote would pull those with ease. If you're using them for land traps and have coyotes in your area, you better use 2.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM

Can you post a pic? Sounds homemade...or somethingonnthe market back then...

Now the only stakes I've ever seen sold are rebar or cable or chain...or wood

Adam is right on...a single metal stake is usually a bad idea for yotes...have you held yotes in them???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
The Man

Back in the day before coyotes were rampant here in Pennsylvania, a great many trappers, myself included, used angle iron stakes, usually 10 or 12 inches long and affixed to the shortened trap chain by a S-hook. That was enough to hold any fox or coon that came down the pike. Some trappers used wooden stakes. Two notable wooden stake users were the late Kermit Stearns from Cambridge Springs and Russ Carman.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I used these stakes in Idaho where I worked as a predator control agent for the state and I was amazed at the way they held. I actually used them at first with hooks cause I was a little leary but they held. I held coyotes as well as incidential catches such as a bear cub and a small couger. I was told by Lew, the guy that made them that because of the angle of the taper they would hold well. In rocky ground they actually bent around rocks and when I pulled
them they were all twisted. Now Lew was an electrical engineer, numbers kind of guy who never trapped in his life. I contacted the company he worked for and he is no longer there. They just looked like about 3/16 plate steel about 18 inches long maybe 2 inches wide at top. I've tried to duplicate it but obviously the angle of the taper is the trick. No luck here. Neat part is they were flat and I'd wire 6 together and easy package to carry.

long for the woods
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM

the stakes i used,use still,are nothing more then a 3/8 straight rod with a 2 inch wide triangle welded to the end.pain to pull out,especially after ground freezes.

true pleasure is a pair of red eyes coming at you in the night
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhunter61
the stakes i used,use still,are nothing more then a 3/8 straight rod with a 2 inch wide triangle welded to the end.pain to pull out,especially after ground freezes.
I got some of those and agree they can really hold, also roots and rocks. If I use them and they go in pretty hard I know I'm in for a treat come pull time.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 PM

Old Mink, I too used to use wooden stakes for my fox trapping. White Oak or Locust lasted quite a few seasons. Those angle iron stakes were great back then pre yotes.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page