Pulled sets, Canines return... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Pulled sets, Canines return...

So why does a dirthole get worked by Fox weeks after you leave the location?
Good Nose? Good Lure or Bait?

I think location has a lot to do with it.
An empty, odorless hole will get a looksee, a sniff, then pee'd on, or dropping left there.
If there is still an odor, I feel some Fox will dig at the hole. Some wouldn't dig.
Amount of digging does have several degrees...by that, some Fox can smell better, some Fox like to dig and work, some Fox will return for 2-3 nights to dig, some Fox will pee and never work set again and so on.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 AM

Re: Pulled sets, Canines return...

i think they can smell my trap! when it is gone,they work the set,but when its set,they avoid it like the plague!!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Same here, have seen this for years. Next time I'm going to take a leak in the trap bed.

TRAP TORCH
Life Member PA Trappers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Back in Nov I snapped all the sets I had out. It rained all night on a Sunday and Monday the temps where going to drop below 0 with snow. So Monday morning I set off all traps and left them on top of the trap beds. I would not have time to reset till Saturday and I wasn't having much activity. We had about a foot of snow. Saturday I went out to reset and could not believe my eyes. It looked like the fox and coyotes had a barn dance at each set. The holes had all been dug out and the area was pounded with tracks. Some of the traps had been uncovered and the traps pulled out to the ends of the chains. This all while the snow was a foot deep.

You get out of your dog what you put in to your dog!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 AM
Part of the Community

i can relate to that also lol
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:17 AM

i agree...a ton of variables...ive gone back to sets weeks later to see them blown out..why? can they still smell it? are they just digging because theres a hole there? are they just digging because another critter dug there too?

i know location is huge...a little eye appeal (a hole) and a well placed trap ON the right location and you can catch fur..a little bait and/or lure and urine helps for sure..but follow tracks in the snow...the gravitate toward certain things...a lone clump of grass sticking up...a groundhog hole...a bale of hay...

i followed a yote around a bit today and he went a decent ways out of his way to go sniff around a old round bale..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

This is why:

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM
The Man

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
The Man

My thoughts on this matter are if foxes were avoiding your set while it was freshly lured with a ready, waiting trap, then worked several weeks after you've pulled up stakes either one of two things occurred.

The first is your lure and/or bait was too strong, that is, threw off such a strong odor that was unnatural to the fox. Humans with their poor olfactory systems might not notice it but foxes sure do. It has been my considered opinion for years many trappers use too much lure at their sets and thus render their sets unnatural to foxes.

The second is you might have been going too close to your sets while checking them. Some foxes don't care for this. After you pull your sets and some of the human odor dies away they approach the set to check it out.

Just saying.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Moss, hope you got a trail set there! Perfect spot!

I think the reason some holes get worked over is because they have mellowed out to the point that the canines want to put there nose right in the hole to smell that subtle scent.
I know sometimes if the conditions are right I can smell my sets as I drive by them in the truck, so you know a canine doesn't need to get right in there to see what's up.
Later when things mellow, they might just be more intrigued by those subtle odors.
I see it every year though in spring gobbler season. Some of the sets that didn't get a sniff in trapping season will be excavated out and defecated on like I'm the best trapper in the world.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page