Taking a turn for the worse... LOL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Taking a turn for the worse... LOL

So, I've caught very little trash, incidentals, or myself this year. In fact, I hadn't gotten whacked yet...

In the last 4 days, I've caught a cat, a red tailed hawk in a hayset, a rabbit that got eaten by another hawk, a grinner, and myself. Twice. In the same trap. Once across all 4 fingers on my left hand and then again on the opposite thumb.

I've missed so many critters in CR's lately that I'm pulling my hair out.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Taking a turn for the worse... LOL

Ouch! So what were you using for bait to catch yourself?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM

Adam, so you want to be a trapper aye? LOL
I say this to myself when on a streak of luck such as yours lately. Or to my trapping brethren when it pours rain or snows deep. Just par for the coarse buddy, it will get better at least by next November. LOL At least your at it like a trooper. Go man Go! 4 fingers is way better than a single or worse a tip of one. Shake it off and roll on.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

treerat, I was remaking the set after releasing the grinner. Got careless and got myself across all four fingers. Didn't hurt. Got myself out and while resetting my opposite hand slipped and took it right on the second knuckle of the thumb. That did hurt. It's still partially numb.

Kip, I could grin and bear it a lot better if I was putting fur on the stretchers, but I'm not. That said, still at it.

Only a couple more weeks of misery left!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

as i told a buddy i'm teaching to trap when he snapped himself the other day for the first time- "welcome to the club. the good news is- you know your set was working. snapping yourself means a working trap, and that's always better than a freeze up."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I joined the club a long time ago and I already knew the trap was working, I didn't need an example to prove it! LOL

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 AM

Well I have been after a possibly fable of a black yote for about a month on a place that usually produces several fox each season. No fox, 1 coyote of normal color was caught. Until today, I cleared the ridge and could see a black yote fighting the trap. Finally, Finally I thought as I sped closer as it turned into a black boxer mixed house dog. By the time I felt good enough to remove catchpole I was standing on top of my four wheeler trap box on the rear rack. Decided to pull them after I had to chase him away with the bike. While chipping away at the frozen ground a piece connected with my eye. I said "so you want to be a trapper huh?" Oh and the other 24 perfect sets held 1 2lb grinner. I can't stop though.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Adam I feel your pain, I had a trap snap my knuckle back in November and it still hurts

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I had to close down 90% of my line yesterday because I have my son this week, I can't see a lot of it from the road and we're supposed to get a bunch of snow I won't be able to manage. Drives me nuts not having them out but being able to sleep in and save some gas isn't bad either.

Trust me, it'll be back up and running on Sunday after I drop my little guy off with his mom. In fact, I may add to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page