Blind Setting Questions??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Blind Setting Questions???

Old Mink, Kip, and any others who've found success blind setting on dry land.
Spill your Guts!

Kip, when you talked about the "Y" stick how are you setting it in relation to the trap? In the crotch of the "Y" or outside and along the long leg on either side?
Or are you using more of a "V" stick?

OldMink, what have you discovered about Grays that make them a slam dunk? Simply creatures of habit?

My experience this year setting blind sets has been pretty much an utter failure. Lots of empty snapped traps, lots of non targets, and lots of 2" diameter stepping sticks stuck in the jaws where the critter rolled them.
Bob Jameson got my wheels turning about using blind sets, and I've tried to copy his techniques, but again I haven't been very successful at it.

How do I get the critters I'm targeting to hit that sweet spot??? Gray, Reds, Coyotes, Cats and Coons!

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Blind Setting Questions???

I have found that it's a 50/50 chance if canines step over a stepping stick or on it. I can't believe how many times in the snow I've seen a track directly on my stepping stick.
Talk about pulling your hair out!

I know that any log across a trail at knee level will have a canine track on the log. They don't just jump the log, but they almost always seem to plant a foot dead center as they step on and over it. I'm thinking of a few logs next year that will have the top notched out flat to accept a #2 Bridger.
Also, a deer will never step on the log, so that is an added bonus.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 AM

A Y stick with an uprite part and a Y or V call it what you like. Plant the stick in the center of trail with bottom of the split about 3" high. Center the trap on either side. If you can predict direction of travel, trap past stick with lever almost touching. Or loose jaw almost touching.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kip, completely different from what I was thinking. I assumed you were laying the stick out flat on the ground rather than sticking it upright.
Interesting. Thanks.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Part of the Community

I never just put one trap in a trail on dry land. Usually two traps lever to lever in two or three locations 30 to 40 feet apart. Snapped traps and junk are very common 99% of the time a snapped trap is a deer.
Cattle trails in pastures work well if there are no cattle in them. K9s will follow them even if the pasture looks like a golf course fairway. Look for places were its necked down by a clump of grass.
If you have a coyote that won't commit to a dirt hole make a mock set ten feet off the trail up wind and make blind sets twenty feet apart on the trail. They will pace the trail looking at the mock set. Blend in the sets out arms length in both directions.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM
The Man

Quote:
OldMink, what have you discovered about Grays that make them a slam dunk? Simply creatures of habit?
Creatures of habit. A gray, if any are present, will always run a log. It doesn't matter if the log is prone or inclined, they will always run it when passing by. I have proven to to myself many many times over while out tracking after a light snow. Once I took 5 grays in a single morning on the military reservation at Fort Indiantown Gap in Lebanon County, Pa. I was out tracking following a light dusting of snow the previous night and found the tracks. They ran up several sharp leaning trees too. I simply pounded out a shallow trap bed and set a trap at the point where the grays leaped onto the log or tree, covered it with some crumbled leaf mould and called it a day. I must add I set these traps in the morning and by noon the sun came out and melted the snow. I suppose had someone found those sets they would have thought me nuts but the next morning the area, about a one mile stretch of woods, was jumping with trapped grays. Conceal your traps at the jumping on or off point. Stepping sticks here are not necessary but I doubt they would hurt anything either. Do not cover the traps with dirt or play sifter. Just pound out a shallow trap bed with your hatchet's driving head and cover said trap with a leaf or two. You don't want anything that freezes up hard or turns to mud in the rain. It does not matter if parts of the trap show. The fox doesn't know what a trap is anyway in this context. The fox has his head up, eyes up, looking about. He isn't thinking trap, bait or lure. Flat speaking, he's not on guard.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 PM

There's a good thread on this right now over in strictly trapping
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oldmink, no doubt they run the logs a I've seen it myself a number of times, but I can't say I've seen it with the certainty you are describing.
I would feel more confident setting a trap on the log rather than the on/off ramp. Where they hop on or off seems very random to me? I suppose every log is different to interpretation as well.
Do you have any tips for blind setting canines other than logs?
Everytime I think about setting a log, I can't help but think about the number of squirrels I'm about to catch

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
The Man

The best set for fox/coyote is the scent post. When looking down a farmland field road or known game trail, squint your eyes and look for the most singular prominent object that stands out in your blurred vision. It might be a tuft of grass, an old log or limb, a hunk of bark from a nearby tree, even some horsey road apples. If any foxes are present, this will be one of their markers. Tip: add no lure or urine and use clean traps. Do not introduce any foreign scent or odor that will cause the approaching canine to be on his guard. Why do I say that? Watch your dog as he goes into to scent one of his favorite markers. How does he approach? He prances right in, head up and in those few unguarded seconds he's a complete sucker for a blind set. I have found it often pays to use two traps, one on each side, at this type set. You can't always be sure which side the critter will approach from, plus a female will come straddling to make her deposit. You can nail her in both traps.

Truth: I caught my first fox with this type set.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Very good post Minkie. It takes quite a bit of experience to truly master post sets and make them really work...but when a trapper does they'll find a scent post is a deadly fox taker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page