Coon Lure? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Coon Lure?

Just about every lure maker makes a coon lure or three. Who actually uses coon lure? Not counting prepared baits or squirtable lure like fish oil/shellfish etc. Who uses coon lure in the traditional way a fox trapper uses lure (ie: dip a twig in a 1 oz. bottle and stick it in a dirthole or pocket)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Coon Lure?

I use a coon lure at every coon dirthole or pocket I make, and have done so for as long as I can remember. That being said,I'd still say location beats all other factors. I don't feel you can draw coon real far off their intended travel way, but think a good lure certainly can't hurt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM

I use Hawbakers 2 or 3 feet from a set. I dip a thin low hanging branch in the bottle. If they're passing bye and don't smell the bait, this gets there attention.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Part of the Community

I do most of the time on land sets. Not always on water sets. Only most of my coon lures are actually canine lures.
Many canine lures are death on coon.
I still like a food smell down the hole, most of the time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 PM
The Man

Call me old fashioned but if I intentionally set out to catch a coon I always blind set. But hey, that's just me. I was never that interested in running up numbers.

Couple that with the fact coon are easy to blind set. They leave sign everywhere. Other species such as Sir Reynard get a wee bit dicey sometimes.

FYI, grays, on the other hand, are slam dunks.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

OldMink, I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more about your blind setting techniques sometime if you don't mind.
I don't want to steal the thread, just letting your know I believe it's a lost art.
I tried my hand at it a bit this year and was only minorly successful. Lots of snapped empty traps and non targets. How do you get them to step in the sweet spot?

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 AM

I do. In a pocket set an acorn cap is placed in the hole under roof filled with a sweet coon lure such as Timber Grizzly or a molasses anise castor mixture. Carmens Canine call above the set and your reaching out to many more than those coming by. 2 trappers, same number of sets on the same creeks. One used Carmens Canine Call in addition to a sweet lure and bait, the other used the Ultimate Coon lure and bait. On a week line the trapper that used the call lure caught 54 and the other caught 17. They ran same line a month later, the trapper with LDC 22 coon other trapper 4. I tried to get him to use the LDC but he had the ultimate coon lure and a lack of observation I guess.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 AM

For blind setting a trail. If you use a Y stick it will center them up coming or going. Bob Best hooked me up with this method and Man it works like majic. I had previously use a stepping stick which worked ok but, the Y stick is vastly better IMO. A coon walks unlike a fox where feet are not inline on center of trail the Y makes them step on the pan. Old Mink, I'd like to hear your method as well.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Fellas, I am going to dig into this deeper after a few more responses...but I am seeing that most are using it as an LDC or an addition to bait to add a bit more drawing power. I assume that the lure is not the only attractor, ie. bait in the hole??

You'll get no argument from me about the added calling power of lure...but is there anyone out there making big coon catches on JUST lure? Similar to the large fox catches that are made each year on nothing but a few drops of lure or a stick dipped in lure and nothing else.

Like I said, I have theories I'll discuss after a few more responses...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 AM
New Arrival

CoonDuke, from my observations / trial and error I've noticed that the fox likes to be teased and the coon likes to be fed. That is def not true all the time. I have had dozens of times both species ignore a free meal. I feel as though the more you offer an animal the more likely of a chance you will have that animal commit and work the set harder increasing the chances of them being caught.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page