This forum has been a little slow lately... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

This forum has been a little slow lately...

Let's talk about some traps, shall we?

I started trapping this year on an impulse with two other friends. We all agree it was one of the best decisions we've ever made. We've become closer as friends and have an absolute blast together. We all trap a mutual line and are sharing our meager profits. Well, we're looking to expand in the trap department. I have some Dukes and some MB-550s. The 550s are absolutely awesome. I haven't had to modify them in any way, which I like. The Dukes on the other hand, leave a lot to be desired. I night latched the Dukes but I still think they're fairly lackluster. I'd like to buy a dozen traps for next season and so would my friends. Obviously we'd all love to just pick up a dozen MB-550s but that's a little cost prohibitive. We're primarily targeting fox and coyote with our coil spring traps. I looking for a solid trap with a center base plated chain, a trigger system I don't have to touch and wide jaws to prevent damage to the paw.

The 1 3/4 Sleepy Creek looks like a solid trap. I can get the Sleep Creeks for $12.33/trap or $145/dozen compared to 15.24/trap or $182.95 for the MB-550s. I really am fond of the MB-550s. Do the Sleepy Creeks compare to them? Are there other traps that I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 AM
New Arrival

Re: This forum has been a little slow lately...

i like the bridger 1 3/4s i think there built better than the dukes and are still reasonably priced
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 AM

I could be wrong but the MBs are the only ones I know of with the paws I trip pans out of the box...can't remember..sleepy creek might have a better than normal pan/dog?

SC makes a nice trap...I know that...

One thing I did after my first season or 2 was standardize my land trap....it made me a better more efficient trapper IMO..mainly when it comes to bedding...1 bed to dig...1 trap to learn to bed..1 trappers cap...all are setup the same...I can grab any of them and it sets like the rest..all night latched..chained the same..sake anchor..same pan tension..etc..if I need a longer chain or something I can do that in the field..

I personally went with buying used fully modded Bridger #2s..laminated..base plated..4 coiled..I buy them used in great shape for 10$ or so a piece..fox yote and coon haven't given me any issues..

Can add paws I trip pans to pretty much any trap if you like that system....

But out of the box ready to go...the MBs pretty much have no competition in that department... and you don't see used MBs often...and they are still a bit expensive..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Do the Bridgers require modifications to make the pans lay flush with the jaws?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM

$12.33/trap or $145/dozen compared to 15.24/trap or $182.95 for the MB-550s.

That's less than $40.00 a dozen difference. Skip one night out at the bar (or whatever would cost $40) and get the MB's. As mauser06 said keep your line standardized. Plus they're ready to go out of the box.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've tested out some MB's and while I do like them, I think the dog needs filed a little bit on the end. The ones I've set, there is about 1/8 inch movement before the snap. That's enough to send a fox running. Nothing major to do, they are great traps. HOWEVER! I still love Montgomery traps. The things are 30 years old and stronger than any new trap (other than mb) out there. I'll buy Montgomery traps every day. ANYONE HAVE ANY MONYGOMERY #2 THEY WANT TO SELL?

I like the half dozen sleepy creek #1.5 I have.
I like the half dozen BMI #1.5 I have
I like the victors I have
I do not like dukes other than dp and some #1
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM

My trap of choice is the 4 coiled Montana #3 dogless with laminated jaws! I like the MB550's but their pan tension seems to be too much. Every critter that has stepped on my Montana's I've caught, I've had 3 times this year where a fox has danced on my MB pans and the traps never went off. If I knew how to lighten the pan to bout 2lbs they would be awesome.

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Bend the dogs down on the mb's to lighten pan tension!!

16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM

I run 1.75 and #3 Sleepy Creeks and MB550s. You'll still need to modify the 1.75's a little.

I don't like the cheap double loop chain, plus it's too long for my liking. I use the MB Crunch Proof swivels when I add either #2 or #3 chain. At least 2. Not much room for 3 when your chain is 6-8" in length.

I found there's no need for the offsets in the 1.75". Regular jaw is fine.

Bubble weld the jaw ends. I don't know if the Western Coyotes can pop the jaws on a 1.75, but their Eastern cousins sure can!

Walkercoonhunter (lanes trapping supply) has the Paws-I-Trip system for the Sleepy Creeks if you wish to upgrade the dog & pan. Perhaps he'll chime in.

The #3's were just routine maintenance. Adjust the pan and tension. I like them in offset.

There's a guy running Bridger #3 dogless and he claims they're it! Hopefully he'll chime in. Hopefully, some of the coyote slayers who have been silent all season, will add their .02. For like the Dos Equis - Most Interesting Man In The World, their .02 is worth $37 and some change.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish75
Bend the dogs down on the mb's to lighten pan tension!!
X2

Never Misses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page