Main question is -how long… where would you…? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Main question is -how long… where would you…?

Hello everyone, I'm very new to trapping.
I have had a great bunny spot that turned into a coyote heaven, last week in the snow i counted at least 5 different dog tracks, two pairs and just a single. so it got me angry to say the least and i wanna go full out on them

That said, I want to target just coyotes and fox. I've learned and now how to make a set and thats not the question at hand. i know locations are key, with everything. i think i've got the right locations. Old road ways, fence rows, edges of fields. Pinch points between two fields and logging roads. after following these dogs around, i learned quiet a bit how they hunt and this location is and what i think will be a great place to take them out on a regular basis.

So My main question is , How long do you leave a set out for a dog before either saying, move it? or keep thinking he's gonna come by? a week?? How often do you check your coyote sets? everyday? other day? and how many traps do you set out for an area? i roughly figure this place to be 200 acres

the solid yellow is where the high ground, the yellow dots and arrows are the hillsides, the blue indicates the lower ground(the far left has a run off from the expressway and runs down the single blue line) the White is the old main road way of the old farm. on the far left again there is a neon green which indicates the fence from the freeway and run off, there is a fence on that side near the RED lines. which brings me to the RED, this is where i followed the tracks, on the main road and that culvert. there was two place where they slipped under that fence. so if you follow that map and continued to read this post, how many traps would you set in this area?
the two fields north, the one west is an old apple orchard with tall grass and the other one is a over grown goldenrod/orchard grass field. most other "openings" are over grown red briar tangles and golden rod. the field located south is tall orchard grass. so anyone that is carrying to share their tactics i'd appreciate it. i want to become successful at this sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM
The Man

Re: Main question is -how long… where would you…?

To answer one question, you have to check them every 36hrs, so that kind of rules out every other day unless you are going to alternate evenings and mornings. The less time a coyote is in a trap the better. IMO.

I had a couple of sets this year that didn't produce anything for 2 weeks, then,caught a yote, or multiple yotes /reds in consecutive days. It depends on how much they are using the area. It depends on how patient you want to be. I like to jump traps around sometimes too. If nothing is going on for a few days or a week, sometimes I will move them around a little or add some more sets. I think if a spot is worth one set, then it is also worth two. Good chance of doubling up that way.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would set on the sign. If they are using those pathways chances are good they will be back.

All I Can Tell You Is What I Told You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would start by setting a few on the old farm lane or the "white line".
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would set the farm lane anywhere you had several tracks overlapping. I would make two sets per location, maybe 3 and give them a week. Less if you are seeing fresh tracks that aren't going by your sets, more if the yotes aren't back on the property and you don't see any new tracks. You shouldn't have to worry about much other than canines and cats when its in the 20's and below.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM

x2

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Part of the Community

Bull lifter, that a good spot I've seen them in that patch of woods before. I'd set the sign like shandog said. Any logging road, path or trail. Coyotes like to walk anywhere it's open with nothing in there face when there nose is to the ground.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page