Trapping one day at a time question... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Trapping one day at a time question...

Trapping is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've spent a lot of time reading and watching videos on trapping. I use trail cameras a lot and have been getting a lot of fox and coyote pictures on my cameras. My question is this...I know traps need to be checked regularly and I only get to camp on Saturdays during the fall and winter (occasionally Friday and Saturday - I live 2hrs away)...would it be worthwhile to set traps for coyotes and fox on Friday afternoon/evening and pull them on Saturday during mid-day? They would only be out for about 24hrs at a time, but If I could catch one, I would be a happy camper.
Thanks for any tips or advice. I don't mind buying the equipment because I really would like to learn about the sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Trapping one day at a time question...

whether its 'worth' the effort is up to you, but its a fact you have a better chance catching something with steel in the ground one night a week versus zero nights a week, ya know?

is the chance slim? yea, but ya never know. granted, it was before the snow started flying so weather was definitely different, but i pulled a yote on the first check of the first line i put in this year, so catching something on the night you set is possible, just know its gonna be a lot less chance than running lines like normal.

if nothing else, it gets you into the game and out in the woods, and sometimes that's worth more in itself than snapping anything.

would i still run traplines if i knew ahead of time i wouldnt catch anything, just be in the outdoors more than somewhere else inside? absolutely.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM
New Arrival

I have only ben trapping for 2 years so I am still learning and by no means a pro but one thing I learned is to look for good sign if you set your traps on sign you know your target animal will be around your trap area its possible to have a catch after 24 hours some times longer. Last week I put some pocket and blind sets in for coon wher I had good sign and caught 2 after 1 day but coon are easier to catch than k9s. I think you should set some traps out and see what happens 1 day chance is beetter than not setting at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fox= yes, coyote=no...... I catch a good number of fox on the first night of a set. Even sets that I used in the past but just put a trap in and freshened up. Yotes, not so much.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM
kdr
Part of the Community

Well stated 872!

Kris
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM

If I where going to only trap on weekends I would try some prebaiting if your going to be at camp anyway.By that I mean I would dig a couple dirtholes where you see some fox sign and put some chuncks of muskrat or groundhog down the holes and a drop of lure.If you have lots of gray fox try some bacon grease.After a fox gets a couple free meals he will keep checking every so often making it more likly to catch him when you sneak a trap in.Use fresh bait to try and stay away from so many possums allso.If you start this about a month before you start it may help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the replies. Reinforced the fact that I should give it a try next season. I'll continue reading and get some supplies before next fall.
If I were going to target fox and coyote...what traps do you suggest for a first timer?
Any other places online or in central or south central pa that you recommend that I spend some time reading and asking questions?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Johnson's furs. Stop in and talk to Jerry. He's a wealth of information and likes to talk/teach. He's ran lines with some legends (Carmen,Hawbaker,Wyshinski) in the trapping world.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 PM

Every year on the vacation line several coyotes are caught first night. Just do it. It can be well worth the effort.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM

Why not run a line at home during the week?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page