New Trapper in Souteast Pa - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

New Trapper in Souteast Pa

Hey all,

So I am relatively new to trapping. I grew up hunting so I am familiar with the woods and have a little experience trapping muskrats with my cousins in central Pa. However, now I am located in Southeastern Pa and would like to start trapping on my own. I have about ten conibear traps I used for muskrat last season but had no luck. I have some pictures from scouting for this season of what I think is pretty good sign. I have found great coon sign in the same area as the rats and was hoping I could get some direction on where to pick up some foot traps for the coons.

Location is also a problem for me. Right now I only have one property I have access to and am struggling to find more. Any suggestions?

Are there even any other trappers in SE PA?!

What should I use to go after coon?

Should I try setting for fox?

What am I doing wrong with the Rats?

I'm open to any and all info you have to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 10:58 PM

Re: New Trapper in Souteast Pa

Head up to the farms in Berks county and offer to trap their coons.That will get your foot in the door and absolutely you should try for fox as theres plenty.I would get a dozen or 2 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 traps for the fox and coon.You will need some good lures and baits,and a book on locations.Russ Carmen has some good books on all 3 animals,and well worth the money invested
Almost any farm with a lot of corn and woods nearby will welcome you to come coon trap;start knocking on doors

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Alright sounds good and thanks for the quick response. So I looked into the traps. Found some duke coil springs on amazon. Found a dozen of each size for a reasonable price. Am i correct in guessing coil spring versus long spring doesn't matter to much? Are there any good local trapping suplly stores. I would like to keep my business local if possible and check out some scent lures.

My other question would be about public land. Any experience trapping on public land? And what do you do about no target animals such as cats? I saw somewhere a guy suggested using padded traps to aid in not harming no target animals. Not sure if I buy it but wanted to know a real trappers thoughts.

I already started scouting for local farms with standing corn to knock on some doors this week in hopes of gaining access. Now I just need to grab a book and find out where to actually set the traps.

Any thoughts on asking Golf courses for access to trap rats in their "water hazards?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by swack-attack-bro
And what do you do about no target animals such as cats?
If it has a collar, release it. If not.....well, let's just hope it has a collar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swack-attack-bro
I saw somewhere a guy suggested using padded traps to aid in not harming no target animals.
I would not recommend them. I haven't heard of any serious longliner using them, except for places where its required by law.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Getting started is the hardest part of trapping. If you are serious about trapping the best thing to do is start reading and watching videos. Another good idea is to join the Pennsylvania Trappers Association and check out a meeting in your district. They have trapper training schools and the guys there are usually more than helpful on advice you will need to become a successful trapper.
Also, do you have a plan for after the catch? Will you process the pelt yourself or are you taking it to someone who will do it?

The horizon is your starting point.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Look up Eplers trap supply on line and get his directions from your house.He's not far from Cabelas which is fairly close to you and he has everything you will need.He will also have the best prices on Duke traps.He has plenty of lure to choose from and books also.If you need help after the catch,send me a pm and I'll help you get your fur put up.i'd recommend you get some formula one trap dip for your traps too.If you have questions I'd be willing to help you thru pm's or a phone call.
Get your permissions first and then determine how many traps you'd need.I'd say you probably want 2 dozen to start with and grow from there.If you go with the 1 1/2 coils,you can set early on land then switch to muskrat and mink with same traps when their season opens.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

First off, I really appreciate all the feed back guys. Thanks a lot.

Secondly. I've been catching up on my trapping videos. There's a lot of good stuff out there and just plain junk too. Looked up Eplers and some Carmen books. Guess I'm gonna have to make a weekend trip to check out the store, oh darn. Carmen's "Fox Trapping in and Around Suburbia" caught my attention. Has anyone read it? Or even heard of it? Thought it would be most applicable for my situation. Also looked into the Pennslyvannia Trapper Association. Seemed useful but wasn't sure on the membership cost. Assumed you have to be a member to attend the trapper training course. Anyone know?

So after the catch I would like to take care of the pelt myself. My biggest obstacles there are that I've only ever handled muskrat pelts and I have no equipment for the process. In the back of my mind I know some buyers will take them unskinned but was waiting to see how things unraveled before I moved forward on that front.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but the next step is to secure land access for trapping. Like I said I have some targets picks out just gotta ring the doorbells. Don't want to beat a dead horse but what are ur guys feelings toward public land? Should I avoid it? Obviously if I can trap on private ground exclusively I will but if the pickings are bare. The public land will look mighty tasty.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As Pennsylvania residents, we are very lucky to have a wealth of public land open to hunting and trapping. Depending on where you live, public land is sometimes the way to go. I trap almost all public land. I fortunate to live next to a 13,000 acre State Forest. To the south of that is a 9,0000 acre State Game land and to the north another 3,000 acre State Game Land. Also coal company property which is also open to public hunting and trapping. But, one thing to know about public land, you are sharing that property with other trappers, hunters and people walking their pets. That being said, you need to be real cautious of where sets are made and checking traps well before daylight is a real good idea in these types of areas.

I wish you the best of luck this season.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Regular Visitor

Go to the Pennsylvania trappers web page and look under events, there are several trapper training schools, go to one of the schools and get off to a good start.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM

The book you mentioned is by Mark June not Carmen.Carmens Foxes by the hundreds is a great book with a lot on location in it
Epler will take your fur whole,just skinned or totally done.I offered to help but that's up to you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page