chest waders? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

chest waders?

so im thinking of trying out duck hunting so looking at chest waders for that and water trapping. anybody that traps is hard on all there equipment. i went through 2 pairs of hip boats last season. hate to waist 2 to 3 hundred bucks on a a pair of chest waders to find out there just not strong enough. what brands seam to hold up the best as far as durability. thank u for any and all help u can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: chest waders?

I bought a good pair of Cabela's neoprene chest waders about 8 years ago. I still have them! Although, they're starting to crack around the ankle area and I bought myself a new pair recently. They make those snag proof kind but keep in mind, you'll be paying a premium price for real good chest waders.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Cabelas single strap waders. One thing I have learned about preserving waders is the rubber boots. When you hang them up when the season is over douse the rubber with original Pam. This keeps the rubber moist till next year. The one thing that makes otherwise good waders bad is leaky boots. I've have done this for three seasons now and my boots don't have one crack in them. The new drake last 2.0 are a really good set of waders. They fixed all the complaints about the original design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM

I only wear chest waders when beaver trapping, and then only reluctantly. Hip boots are the way to go if possible. They hold a lot of water and I don't like a permanently wet truck seat! I have no experience with Cabela's brands; I had a pair of Kobuks that lasted literally forever. Now on my third season of a pair of Frog Tog waders, so far so good. Quit buying cheap hip boots, get a pair of Lacrosse Trappers or Outriggers and you'll never look back. I just got a set last spring after wearing a set of Hodgman Heavy-Duty (very similar to Outriggers) that lasted me over 10 years. Beaver stumps and barbed wire are your biggest enemies, no wader will withstand them.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

i would rather use hip boots but i wanna try my hand a duck hunting might have to wade out a little deeper to get one. i went through 2 pairs of frog tog b4 i switched 2 another brand. thats y im asking you guys and girls that r out breaking through ice slideing through briers and neeling on log jams to find out wich ones hold up the best dont mind paying for a good product. last yr was my first season beaver trapping so i just ran out and grabbed what was local. thank u agen for any and all help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, like Bob said, I've soaked my truck seat plenty of times with chest waders, but, every time I wore regular waders I ended up needing chest waders because of a boot full of water.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Banned

I only use chest waders for trapping, duck hunting, and pretty much all of my fishing now. I was tired of having to worry and tip toe when the water got high up on the hip boots.

Now I can make a set any where I wan't with out worrying about water in the boots. Chest waders also allow you to kneel down and be on your knees while setting or baiting. Not so with hip boots where cold water would rush in.

I just ordered another pair of waders from Cabelas. Saved $80 too!!!! Cabelas brand 3.0mm neoprene armorflex(brush and tear resistant) waders. Originally $199, on sale for $119!!!!

That sale is over, but I'm pretty sure they have $20 bucks off all in stock waders right now. When I ordered, they also had free shipping. Might want to check it out.

PA Waterfowler
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Part of the Community

I also have the Cabela's heavy chest waders. I've beat the crap out of them trapping,duck hunting and winter fishing. The ones i have are the 5mm neoprene with 1600 grams of Thinsulate in the boots and the double padded reinforced knees. I've never had an issue with them and i was told by the LaCrosse people to spray Armorall on any rubber boot to keep them from dry rot. I've had these boots for almost 10 years and believe me, i go thru alot multifloral rose and other briers getting in and out of my beaver areas. They're worth the money spent.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

How do you get your truck seat wet with chest waders. Pull them down then get in your truck problem solved
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thank you all looks like cabelas it is. after last season being my first at water trapping and swamping my hip boots a couple time dang mud waters only knee deep its the 2 ft of mud that gets ya. might even try some more mink sets this season seams like everwere i set for beavers i was seeing mink running the banks. agen thank u all for your input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page