Tick Virus - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Tick Virus

<span style="font-weight: bold">Moderator's Note

This morning I received notification concerning a tick virus thread on the grounds the person making the notification felt a thread about tick virus did not belong on the Trapper's Forum. Honest. I couldn't make this up. I don't know of any real trappers who haven't yet been afield looking things over for the up coming season and by going out we are having to deal with ticks.

Surprisingly, some other moderator moved the thread to another forum. General hunting, I believe. I am not a moderator in the general hunting forum or else I would have moved it back here.

If anybody wants to make comments concerning tick prevention, please feel free to post it on the Trapper's Forum. It concerns us all.</span>

I trap mink because I don't know any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tick Virus

Thanks OldMink for the help. I believe as trappers we likely spend more time in close proximity to ticks, and we also have close contact with critters on a daily basis... I believe this subject does not ONLY belong here it belongs in ALL forums. You can get a tick from your yard too!!!
Again the virus was called Powasson Virus... Lets keep ourselves informed and protected. http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/i...an/basics.html

16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, ticks seem to be especially bad this year. With us working with many well furred animals, I think the risk is twice as bad. It's best to keep ALL informed.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMink
Moderator's Note

This morning I received notification concerning a tick virus thread on the grounds the person making the notification felt a thread about tick virus did not belong on the Trapper's Forum. Honest. I couldn't make this up. I don't know of any real trappers who haven't yet been afield looking things over for the up coming season and by going out we are having to deal with ticks.

Surprisingly, some other moderator moved the thread to another forum. General hunting, I believe. I am not a moderator in the general hunting forum or else I would have moved it back here.

If anybody wants to make comments concerning tick prevention, please feel free to post it on the Trapper's Forum. It concerns us all.
It was me that moved it, another moderator informed me I should move it so I did. Just doing what I was supposed to do, sorry.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Yes, ticks seem to be especially bad this year.
You got that right. I'm picking up ticks while metal detecting around the edges of playgrounds and parks.

I don't know why ticks are so bad in recent years. 30-40 years we waded through the thickest cover and never saw so much as a single tick. I only ever remember the dog coming home wearing a tick on rare occasions.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Regular Visitor

time to get some guineas and release them where ever there is a patch of woods
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM

I have guineas and still have ticks.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM

My good friend has contracted Lyme and is going thru a bad time with it now. Really a bad deal. Sleeps most of the time with fever, chills, body aches, fatigue and memory loss. He did not even find the bite/tick. I bought the elimatick clothing and it seems like it works.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 PM

I posted on the general hunting post as to why the ticks have increased, its because of te bird predation from the hawks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Here is the post bpottorff made:
Quote:
Guineas eat the ticks, so did the pheasants and all the other wild birds. Now that the wild birds are greatly reduced in numbers the ticks have greatly increased in numbers. You never see the number of robins like you did in the past, there here in the spring, raise a few young then most are eaten. I raise over 200 guinea keets a year, sell some and keep some for tick control on our property. But the same as all the wild birds the hawks and owls kill most. If you keep them penned up till full grown they have a better suvival rate but they do not hunt insects as well as when free ranged. The problem is too many hawks and owls eating the birds that prey on ticks. If you notice ticks have increased with the hawk and owl numbers. When I was a kid you saw few hawks and owls and no deer ticks. Back then we never heard of lymes. If people are really concerned about tick problems, then they should try to do what ever it takes to increase the bird numbers that eat ticks, until they find a vaccine.
Makes a lot of sense to me. I guess that's where our muskrats went too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page