cleaning trap tubs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

cleaning trap tubs

I keep all my traps in storage tubs want to clean them out and make sure they're scent free what do you guys use to do this? I'm getting ready to boil and wax but don't want to put them back in dirty tubs.

fi yuo cna raed tihs yuor biarn tihnks teh smae as mnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Part of the Community

Re: cleaning trap tubs

Unless they are absolutely filthy don't sweat it. If it makes you sleep better at night spray them out with the garden hose and let them dry in the sun. Once they are dry you can put grass clippings or pine limbs in with the traps. Used to do all that. Clean tubs, Separate clean from dirty tubs. All the craziness. Now when I'm pulling traps they go in an empty container, weather they have caught a fox,coyote or skunk whatever. If I want to make a fresh set and all I have are skunked traps I set them. No worries. And when I'm done dying and waxing they go right back in the same tubs.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Feeb, the sooner I realized the same thing , the sooner I started catching more canines because I was focused on more important stuff

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks guys would really like to increase my canine catch and trying to keep everything as clean as possible but can remember setting traps with bare hands catching a couple fox too

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Part of the Community

WARNING-My opinion may be misconsturde as trying to be insulting. Scent control weather, killing deer or canines in my mind is the biggest bunch of -- out there...ok one of the biggest. If a man training a dog to find the source of a fire puts one 1 drop of gas on a bed, burns the house almost to the ground and the dog can still find that 1 drop of gas. What in the world is a trapper or deer hunter going to do, that an animal isn't gonna know you were there?
If you really want to increase your catch set more traps. Keep an open mind and let the animals teach you. Every time you see sign of your target animal think where is he going, where is he coming from and why was he here? Have a reason for EVERYTHING you do. And because the book or some Jackwagon in his underwear said so on the Internet isn't a valid reason. Yes a lot of good info can be gleaned from print, but so can a lot of crap. Be objective is all I'm saying don't take it as gospel because its in print. Some "experts" set me back in my early years, with plain junk info. Think out every situation to its logical conclusion.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well said FEEB!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My thoughts on scent detection for both canines and large game are this:
Assume they can smell us like we can smell skunk essence. When driving down the road we often catch a scent of skunk that was maybe hit 3 or 4 days before we got there. We smell it, but it causes little concern.
Just the other night I opened the door to let the dogs in the house and I got hit in the face with a solid plume of skunk stink. My reaction was to yell at the dogs to "Get over here right now!" and give them the sniff test. Otherwise, Panic Mode.
I think animals react to our scent in the same way. They know when the concentration of odor is enough to be a danger and react accordingly.......and they can probably even tell we were there 3 or 4 days ago too.

There has been many, many times I've driven down the road with the windows open and caught a whiff of red fox urine. I smell deer approaching on a regular basis, and not just stinking rutting bucks, but does to. If I can do that, imagine what those critters can detect.

I learned fox trapping from an excellent fox trapper, but he had me so nervous and worried about scent control that I wasn't enjoying making sets, and so covered in heavy rubber that I couldn't feel what I was doing. Everything suffered because of it and I caught very few animals early on. I'd get dug up and always thought that I must still be leaving "some scent". I'd come to find that making solid, tight sets was 20x more important than scent control.

I remember early on making a set with my mentor. I was wearing a long tailed woolrich black/red plaid coat. As I knelt down the tail of my coat touch the ground (he told me so) and he said, "You might as well scrap this set. You wont catch anything here now." That's how freakin' nervous he had me. I was also told that if I was going to breath out of my mouth while making a set I had to turn my head to the side to exhale!

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

yea but how many times has a fox,coon,or mink raided a chicken coop even though there is human scent there he knows that there is an easy meal and will come in anyhow.My concern is I don't get to trap as much as I like to but would like to make every set count and yea Feeb I've watched every video possible on youtube and 1 guy tells you one thing and the next tells you another I'm up for any suggestions or anything on how to make every set count along with everybody else.I don't do bad on water sets but would like to make my land sets connect little more.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 PM
The Man

Three things; location, location, location. Sometimes the matter of a few yards makes all the difference.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew
yea but how many times has a fox,coon,or mink raided a chicken coop even though there is human scent there he knows that there is an easy meal and will come in anyhow.
Yea but???
That is exactly my point throughout my ramblings. No yea but about it.
You asked about being scent free and I suggested that maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page