Exposed Bait and Cable Restraints - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Exposed Bait and Cable Restraints

5 years ago our instructor, and another WCO (I believe Tim Conway?) helping with the class told us that we could set cables while utilizing exposed bait (carcass piles). Somebody asked him how far they needed to be from the bait and the instructor said that you could set the snare right on top of the bait pile if you wanted to. Of course that isn't the best place to set one, but his point was that exposed bait laws do not pertain to cable regulations in Pa.
I even called the Dallas station afterwards to verify what we were told, because the reg book we got with the class said that....."in addition to regular trapping regulations......". I was again told that exposed bait laws do not apply to cable restraints in Pennsylvania.

Now I have been getting mixed signals regarding the legality of setting cables over exposed bait. What have the rest of you been told?

I can remember the instructor saying you could set as close as you wanted to the carcass, but he paced off a few steps and said you'll be more effective if you stay at least this far away or farther down the trail.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Exposed Bait and Cable Restraints

I just took my class on June 29th this year and we were told we could set on exposed bait also, we didn't get any reg book just a "successful furtaking student manual". We were also told about the 5' circle that must be clear of any entanglement and anything bigger than your thumb must be cut. Also were told the relaxing lock had to be the bent washer type and nothing else. I don't see any of this in the regular reg book. I just received my training certificate card in the mail last week and there was no other reg book on restraints with it. I would think they would be printing this in the digest with the other cable restraint rules.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Newt sterling told me that bullet locks, micro locks, penny locks, slim locks, low pros and others are approved for use in Pa. I bought 200 slim locks from him at the Pa convention this past year under his recommendation of it being the best legal lock for Pa.
I'm glad you were told them same about exposed bait. I thought I was going nuts. Do you know the name of your instructor?

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...3.061.000..HTM

<span style="font-weight: bold">(f) Cable restraints will be considered traps for the purposes of the section 2361(a)(3), (4), (7), (8), (10), (12) and (14)--(16) of the act (relating to unlawful acts concerning taking of furbearers).
</span>
Section 2361 (a) (13) says:
(13) Bait a trap with meat or animal products if the
bait is visible from the air.

<span style="color: #660000">NOTE: Article (13) is not included in the bold section above.</span>

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM

We were told the samething last year at my class, however, the instructor recommended keeping the cables on trails leading to the bait.

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh yeah, that only makes sense. A couple guys on trapperman told me I was full of it. They said you can't set cables around exposed bait in Pa, and the rules apply just as if you're setting footholds.
I could use some backup "over there" LOL

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Regular Visitor

Fairchild - I don't think it is legal. CR's are traps - no bait visible from the air with any trap. Technically a carcass is not bait unless you put it there. The way I was told a naturally dead carcass can be set. A carcass you dragged somewhere cannot be set on because it is bait at that point.

There has to be a WCO that can weigh in on this....
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

It specifically says that snares are not traps for 2361 (a) (13) which pertains to exposed baits.
Now, I don't think you can set a carcass with footholds whether it died there naturally or not. That shouldn't make a difference for the purpose of the law. But, you can set the trails leading to the carcass or placed bait as long as you are far enough away. That specific distance? Well nobody knows. LOL

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hey Fairchild I believe the info he is posting is outdated, the max cable length is now 7' not 6 and the BA's are 375 lbs. Not 325. The only thing I can find on the locks says must be relaxing type,nothing about specs. As far as the bait goes I don't know for sure, but I'm not one to overlook a good set location. I'm surely not worried about catching a bird in one of my cables and that's the whole reasoning behind NOT setting footholds on exposed baits.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Brian, exactly my thoughts.
Have you found the need for increased poundage with BADs?

I had to blanket, lasso, and tackle a neck caught deer to clip the cable when using a 285 BAD. That was fun. Actually the deer behaved quite well, thinking back on it.
She walked into the cable where I had reset a fox catch from the day before. All I could figure is that she was walking with her nose to the ground, smelling the catch circle, and headed right into the loop.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page