Yote leg hold suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Yote leg hold suggestions

I'm looking to buy some coils springs mainly for coyotes. I have some Duke #2 single springs, and a ton of 1 1/2 victors. I've read to use the double (4springs) 1 3/4 to hold them. Does anyone have any info they care to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM

Re: Yote leg hold suggestions

A lot of traps will hold them...

But sometimes not....my buddy sent me a pic last season of a trap blown apart....think it was a 1.5 coil...

Coyotes are bigger stronger critters and can be tough on gear...

That being said, with a few modifications most traps will do..even a 1.5...

You will get a ton of answers but if you are wanting coyote traps get coyote traps...at least a #2 or a legal sized #3...

I like a square jaw trap...they seem to bed easier for me...and give a little more space than a round jaw..

I run fully modified bridger #2s as my land trap...I've caught fox yote and coon in them and no trouble...

2 coil vs 4 coil is kinda personal but I prefer them for a few reasons...one I run laminated jaws which add weight to the jaws...the extra springs help keep up the speed/power...two is for coming up through mud/snow/etc...just makes sense to me...but a lot of guys do fine with 2 coils...

Some guys will say bigger traps aren't needed....to each his own...a yotes foot in even a #2 makes the trap not look so big....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks!! That makes since about the extra springs! That's some great info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with mauser. I prefer 4 coil (most of my trapping is done during freezing conditions).
If money is not too much of an issue, I really like the mb550's (essentionally a 1 3/4 size).
If money's tight, alot of people have success with the duke #4. I have a bunch, and like brider #2 fully modified. With that being said, they cost almost as much as the mb550. If I had to do it again, I would just purchase the mb brand. You should also look into becoming certified to use cable restraints. They are a nice tool to use beginning Dec. 26th.
Theres a lot of good advice on this site, as well as others.
Good luck,
Joe

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I was to buy another dozen strictly coyote catching machines.....it would be the #3 Bridger. They have a jaw spread that is right at our legal limitation of 6.5" outside, and you can get them for less than $150/doz.
For a mixed line I have a pile of Bridgers from #1.5 - #3, but if I were to start over today I would take a long consideration at the MB550.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Certified for restraints as of 4/14/13 with 6 dozen ready to go on 12/26/13. I just send my dad an email last night about the mb550's. thank you all for your advice, it's been helpful
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

you do not need big traps to hold a yote you need a strong trap to hold a yote that being said any fully modified trap should hold a yote but i would not go smaller then 13/4
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM

I've never had any trouble holding a yote in my Duke 1 3/4 and 3's.I only use 2 coiled traps too.I don't have time to tinker with my traps.All I do is cut the chain shorter to about 6",add mid chain swivel,nightlatch with 2 lbs pan tension;works great for me.I think the short chain is important with the traps I use.I never give the yote any room to test my gear.I'd rather have more gear in the ground for my $$ then expensive stuff.I do trap all public ground too so I have to deal with theft
I saw someone recommended the Bridger 3's.I was looking at them over the weekend and they seem like an awesome trap for yotes
Good luck gettin after them!!

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Get on YouTube and look at the vid of a rant from the tiny trap club. The message makes sense to me
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Part of the Community

The real wolfers, guys that kill coyotes year round for a living use traps with 6"-6 1/2" jaw spread. There has to be a reason for this.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page