Trapping coyotes to increase fawn survival rates - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Trapping coyotes to increase fawn survival rates

Pay attention to the Date and Time on this photo. Also pay attention to the stance of the fawn. It looks to me as though the fawn is running.

Now look at the date and time of when the coyote comes through less then five minutes after the fawn comes running through. The stance of the coyote and the way that his tongue is hanging out of his mouth it looks to me as though it is chasing the fawn. This was taken at my camp down in Bedford, Pa. We see plenty of deer down there do to the fact of little hunting pressure. However we have been getting a decent amount of coyote pictures as well as bobcats. This is the first year we have owned the camp. In the past years I have only hunted deer however, this coming year I am thinking about trapping just to improve the balance predator vs prey population. I have tried hunting there with mouth calls and rifles during the first weeks of February to try and get some of these coyotes out of there when we first bought the camp. There was no success on any of these hunts. I am to the point I want to start trapping to try and get some of these coyotes out of the area. Being new to this I am solely looking to trap coyotes out of here for the time being. Now that I live in western PA and camp is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. I am only able to get down there for at most three days in a row before having to head back for work. I know that trapping coyotes can be challenging and being the fact that I have only three days at the most that means it will take me a day to set the line then at most I have two nights I can let the traps sit before pulling. Does anyone have any tips that would increase my possibility on getting the traps in the ground and getting fur in the traps fast. From what I understand it sometimes takes a couple days for a coyote to even want to come in to work a set. I need a method of trapping that I can go in set the line and have coyotes working the set either that night or the following night. Does anyone have recommendations on lures, baits, anything that will bring these dogs in quick and in a hurry; that or should I just run a mass amount of traps to increase my odds in having a coyote come upon one and work the set?

Check out our Outdoor Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/ChasingTrophiesTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trapping coyotes to increase fawn survival rates

If you don't have the time and you are new to trapping coyote then I would have someone else go in and try to trap them out. Trying to slap traps in when you do not know what is going on with limited time usually ends up with sloppy sets and educated coyotes.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

CT, I say go for it. It's true that you don't have a lot of experience yet; but that's how you learn. We were all newbies at one time or another. Talk to those that have experience, study books or DVDs, and ask any questions on this sight. Trapping coyotes can be tricky, but it's not rocket science. Good luck, I really hope you put the hurt on old wiley in that area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I have been researching a lot for here in PA as far as regulations goes I understand the laws fairly well.that being said for that area there is alloy of huge rocks for dens and thick saplings with logging roads cut through that these dogs are running checking for food my thought was line the logging roads with dirt hole sets being the land is rocky I wouldn't be able to get away with a single long stake or an earth anchor.basically what I wanted to know is what sets have other people have continuous success with. So basically I realize I will have to double stake but other than that everything is a variable. Everyone has to have a favorite set like my go to set is this trap in a a dirt hole/ flat set etc. With this lure, bait etc.

Check out our Outdoor Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/ChasingTrophiesTV
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Dirt hole and scent posts'.... red fox urine, carman's lures or gusto (in extreme cold weather) works for me. Persistance is the most important ingrediant!

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Earth anchors; if you can get one stake in, you can get one earth anchor in. Not to mention they are a heck of a lot lighter to tote up and down mountains than a bucket full of rebar.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If it's not feasible to follow Denny E valuable advice (which is the best advice) try the following methods.

Establish the sets on their travel paths prior to season (at least a month, more if you can). Pre-bait the sets heavily, every time you get there, massive amounts of bait in the holes...get them used to working those holes and feeling comfortable at those holes. As well, establish scent posts in prior to season. Urine/ gland lure. Freshen those locations often. This is not fool proof, however it will create a certain familiarity for the resident coyotes, then slip traps in when you can be there to check them. I am not one to worry with human scent much, however in the conditions you are trying to work under, it may be worth considering extra precautions
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That is actually an awesome idea that I never considered wardog get them use to working the set before you need the traps instead of just going in and putting a dirt hole in and hoping one will discover it there shortly after thanks for the idea!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 02:54 AM

Do some reading about coyote breeding/populations/ecology before you run out and buy trapping gear trying to increase fawn survival rates....

Good intentions....but so long as there is an abundant food source there will be coyotes...

Good luck with the venture!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM
The Man

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone have any tips that would <span style="text-decoration: underline">increase my possibility on getting the traps in the ground and getting fur in the traps fast</span></span></span>
CABLES aka Cable Restrains, CR's
You must first have furbearer license and Cable Restrain certification.

One can set big numbers of CR's fast, inexpensive and efficient.
Baiting area is permitted for Coyote (which is helpful to Bear hunters, baiting for one species has always confused me. Oops, am baiting for Coyote. Seems to open up doors for no good. Bait for all, or bait for nothing.)
Bait piles will concentrate Coyote and one can focus Cables on these areas.
Scouting is helpful and in-season scouting is a must. Example: If someone drags a dead cow out past the back pasture, Coyotes may be working over cow and be miles from you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page