Beaver Limits - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Beaver Limits

I generally am a fan of liberal hunting and trapping laws. I believe if there is an over abundance of an animal, we should have the opportunity to take that abundance with whatever ethical method we prefer. That being said I was thumbing through our current restrictions and noticed WMU 2D is in the heart of the new 20 beaver limit area. How does the Game Commission come up with this stuff? I have a heck of a time FINDING 10 beaver to catch and usually stop short to leave seed.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Beaver Limits

The problem with the PGC is they have one furbearer biologist and a commission full of people who don't know what a trap looks like. I think the beaver limit goes by the number of complaints they receive from nuisance calls they get over a coarse of a year. If they got a call from a particular part of 2D, well it must be overrun with beaver.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I always wonder the same things , arm chair biologists settin limits . I would like to invite them to walk a few days in my shoes and explain why the limit was cut to 20 beaver here . 40 was never much of a problem under good conditions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Feeb, I agree somewhat. 2D is a fairly large wmu. I believe there are "pocket's" with higher populations; yet most areas don't have very many: which could lead to too much pressure on isolated colonies if a couple guys are hitting the same ponds etc. I think that it's just easier to say: "this wmu" etc. rather than doing by counties and such.
I personally don't beaver trap a lot of areas because I know others are going to be "in there" throughout the season, and like to see a few left for habitat reasons. It's a different story if they are causing trouble for a land-owner/township. I'd prefer to catch and use the beaver rather than leave it to be harvested by the pgc or ADC during the summer months.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

The PGC is run by morons and their only concern is to make money. The PGC is nothing more than POLITICS!

Amy question about this, look at the Board of Commissioners!

Nothing but POLITICALLY APPOINTED HACKS!

Pa needs to merge the Fish, Game and DCNR and do away with all the politics involved in the management of OUR resources.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 PM
The Man

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddawg
Pa needs to merge the Fish, Game and DCNR and do away with all the politics involved in the management of OUR resources.
That's the last thing you want have happen! The PGC and the PF&BC are not funded by tax money, DCNR is and DCNR is 10 times more political than the commissions are. If they were all to merge, it would become a state run agency and you could count on paying 3 times as much for a license because they would need to make money. Then, the bunny huggers would be in charge of the whole shebang and the first thing they would do away with is trapping.....

So, be careful what you wish for.....

The horizon is your starting point.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Always hunting, I agree with you. My beef with the game commission is the "it's easier to say WMU 2D". If they are going to manage, they should do it in a way that's best for the animal, while keeping conflicts at a minimum. Not just rubber stamp a given area to get the job done.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yep, (feeb) that would require too much of their time!....
I know trappers in our district that limit out on beaver, while other's only have a pond to hit/or skip if they want to see beavers throughout the year/like the habitat they create. Sending you a pm

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 PM

I'm sure it goes off of complaints.Which is probably pretty localized.I for one wish they would go back to managing everything by the county instead of these WMA.Some counties need alot of trapping while others there are hardly any beaver but still in the same WMA.The WMA,in my opinion, have helped wreck the deer hunting.How can you group private farmland in with forested gamelands when figuring doe tags.Same with the beaver.Some areas in your management area obviously have alot of beaver;most likely on private land,but they now allow you to kill that many beaver in places that are open to the public thus effecting the populations in those areas.Something really needs to change!!!!First off would be game wardens actually getting out of their trucks.I've NEVER been stopped by nor seen a game warden in the woods and I've hunted/trapped for almost 35 years.I've talked to plenty in the parking lots though.I scout year round and out of season you never see any wardens around.I've always wondered how they come up with seasons and bag limits without stepping into the woods.
I do alot of hunting out west and they seem to know whats up with animals populations much better.And, you do see them in the woods;along with documented studies before putting out seasons/bag limits.i'm not trying to bash the GC but I would like to see alot more from them.How hard is it for them to take a walk on the gamelands and check out the sign for beaver before making bag limits.Going off of complaints is actually destroying our gamelands.I'm sure theres plenty of beaver around me in places off limits to trap.Should that really be taken into consideration when making bag limits????OK, I'm done venting

yote addiction: a pack a day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page