Fur Tumblers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fur Tumblers

How many of you guys tumble your furs before you sell them? I am considering building one. If you guys have pictures or even plans, that would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Fur Tumblers

According to the NAFA DVD I recently purchased, they kind of don't like pre-tumbled furs, especially raccoon. They gave a couple of reasons such as sawdust on the furs and other things. They also mentioned that although it does not hurt fur value, in most cases it does not help.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Part of the Community

I have never tumbled my furs and don't think I would if I was going to sell them. Maybe if I were going to keep them for myself and tan them I would try tumbling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Part of the Community

Used a tumbler for the first time this year. I don't know how I got along without one. Every animal I put up this year got ran through it before I fleshed. If a hide had caked on mud or blood I would knock the heavy stuff off with the garden hose ring it out by hand.(grab it by the nose in one hand, with the other firmly grip the head and run it clean to the tail. Shake till the hair stands up.) If it wasn't to bad It went straight into the tumbler. About 20 at a time with saw dust. 15 mins of running and they were dry and fluffy, comb out burrs and saw dust, beam ready. I put up at a buddies last year, building one for myself is on the list for this summer. If you put up any amount of fur they are manditory in my eyes. There was no need to tumble after drying.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM
The Man

MossCreekMonster, I have tumbler.
I took heating element outa clothes dryer. When you have back off dryer, duct tape holes in drum. Also duct tape over lint catcher.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">I use course, corn cob grit</span>. (Fine grit or saw dust gets into everything, cracks and such). I recommend the course grit.
It's learn as-you-go process on drum'n fur. How much grit? How many hides at a time? How long should I let 'em in? When do I replace dirty grit? After a few hides, you will get a feel for how long and how many. I use a shop vac to remove dirty grit.
I drum Coon (after flesh'n, skin side out) for a few minutes, this really takes off excess grease.
At times, I drum Fox and Coyote (after flesh'n, fur side out) to clean up blood or mud. I also add a dryer sheet or two on fur side out fur.
Having a tumbler, gives me another tool to care for fur.
Trapperrick I have thatthere NAFA dvd. Great info for sure.
I don't feel I over tumble my fur. I don't want them bone dry or damage the fur. Easy does it when tumble'n.

Slightly drummed Coon..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM
The Man

this year the wife got a space age dryer, I got a stone age tumbler out of it. took out the igniter and sealed off the holes and lint catcher, i mainly use it after tanning

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM

ive never tumbled...but my canines get washed, rinsed, downied and boraxed and brushed...

cannot believe the amount of dirt a yote carries around...its amazing to me...

ive lightly rinsed coon then dried and boraxed and brushed the fur...makes an awesome looking coon...my coon are treed and chewed on by my dog and skinned in the woods so they are a bit bloodier and dirtier than most trapped coon..dont know if it helps or hurts...maybe next year i will do them ALL..then if they dont grade too hot the following year i wont do any of them...i surely think it helps to have a nice clean fluffy pelt though..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page