New to Cable Restraints, need assistance.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New to Cable Restraints, need assistance..

Hello, I am new to Cable restraints, I just passed my course but I am a greenhorn as to what to buy or build as far as locks go. I know I can use the reverse bend washer locks but is there any other types of lock that are better in anyones opinion? Micro locks? Also I bought a few cables off of Eplers at the rendezvous on sat. I see that they have a crimped on breakaway instead of the j-hook breakaway. Is any BAD better or worse? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New to Cable Restraints, need assistance..

what I learned after one season , order from snareone. tell him what state you live in and what critter you will primarily be after . newt is the man . you'll pay a little more for a much better product ! I cabled a half dozen fox and a yote with what I bought .

at the past rondy I bought everything to make my own , and although not hard ,it is trying .ruined a few , now I seem to be getting the hang of it . good luck .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Part of the Community

I like the crimp on bad. They aren't as bulky at the business end of the CR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Part of the Community

The s hook break away gives a more consistent break poundage wise. I like the crimp stile myself they seem to have a smoother closer. That being said with the laws as they are in regards to where you can set. The vast majority of deer will be held by the foot so the stop means more than the break away. In my area there are a couple deer left. If I set 50 CRs 40 will be knocked down or closed and stretched tight every night, and have had very few issues. The micro lock is the way to go. I was told when I first started using CRs that the washer lock caused less fur damage because of the size, I haven't found this to be the case.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM

dietsch gave great advice...

snareone (Newt) builds probably some of the best cables out there...

anyone can build a cable..its not difficult...but, building it perfectly is an art...loading the cable..sure it looks easy...but i rather trust someone that has built thousands..maybe millions...a properly loaded cable first like a true trap...once fired that critter likely is going to be waiting in the morning...

you can save a few bucks by building them..but honestly most guys in PA dont use up a ton of cables...even if you living in fox haven and cabled 120 fox..its 2-3$ off the top of my head...yes it cuts into your profit..but, well worth it IMO..and the locks and components can be reused...not sure but i bet if you saved a bunch and sent them back to Newt he'd make you more at a discounted cost...i save mine...

i also save the cable to later build anchors..so it doesnt completely get wasted either..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys, so newt seems to be the man to talk to. What is it meant to "load" the cable?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM

load = the twist in the cable so the loop will stay open without flopping over.

If that makes sense.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude
Thanks guys, so newt seems to be the man to talk to. What is it meant to "load" the cable?
try you tube and type ,loading a snare . he makes it look easy ,but it takes practice .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks, I'll take a look at it tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page