no NAFA posts?! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

no NAFA posts?!

i cant believe with an auction about to start nobody here has posted anything!

anyone else have fur there??

i have all of mine there...my first time shipping..

i have 4 reds, 4 yotes and 27 coon there..

my coon did as expected..about half damaged to some extent..had to learn to put em up sooner or later..i do have 5 *sel coon and the rest of the half or so I-II..so that is good to see..the other half is my poor fleshing..

a damaged red which i am not sure why its damaged..i did have a hold over from last season i left hanging in the root cellar..maybe that was it..though it looked fine..hard to say..

1 yote graded pretty well..2 damaged..1 ok..the 2 damaged were ratty looking..cant polish a turd..i might release a fox for seed..but not a yote..

cant wait for Saturday!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: no NAFA posts?!

I've been hanging out mostly over Trapperman, so far this auction is off to a great start! I have all my coon, beaver, and some mink and rats there, plus one Red Fox. They seemed to be a little tough on their coon grading this year, I did have some selects though. It was funny, one of my coon graded Western Northern, three graded Canadian, and the rest were graded North Central. They were all caught in southern Erie County, strange how they can be so different?

Something is always given in nature, never taken...
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

its prob because they arent onto the wild fur yet...i doubt anyone has many ranch mink there thats on this site...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Been shipping north for several years now.....how they grade still baffles me. Son and I sent numerous coon up for the second round....some, like PARay1, were also graded Canadian and the rest NC......all caught in Central PA. Go figure! Did well in the first auction and the coon we sent up for the second round were better furred......hope those buyers still have some money.....

If I'm not hunting or fishing with the kids....I'm somewhere on a Judo mat.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM

I've been watching the chat on trapperman. Plan to go with NAFA next year for first time. No more selling local for me. Don't mind a 30min drive to drop off, just don't quite understand the boxing and tagging for a first time NAFA shipping.

Semper Fi
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I sold all of my fur at the NAFA February sale. The wild fur starts Saturday. I'll be keeping an eye on it because if they have 100% clearance, that should mean good fur prices for next year.......Along with more competition.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

broknaero, its simple really...take it to the shipper and they will count em, fill out the receipt and thats that..you dont have to box or bag anything...if you have bags you can bag them...but they do the work..

after i started reading prices the last couple years i couldnt believe the difference...there arent local buyers close to me..all 3-4hrs round trip...so its costly...my nafa agent is actually closer..within a 2 hour round trip..

ive taken green and put up fur to various local buyers and feel they really low ball the prices...sure green they dont know what they are getting into..especially coon..could be shot 18 times and tore up by dogs..no way to tell till they are fleshed...but the same 8$ coon aughta fetch a lot more than that at NAFA..i understand its a business and they gotta make money and are taking the risk etc..but dang...

im not expecting a ton...still excited to see how it goes and hoping it goes really well!

glad i learned to put up my fur...its rewarding and i actually enjoy it..took me a dozen or so coons to learn..small price to pay for the extra money it will make me opposed to selling green..

i wish our yotes still had good fur later in the season...i dont really start trapping till after Christmas..they can look really sad come the tail end of the season...i can almost bet the one that graded pretty well was one i shot in deer season...had much nicer fur...they must have missed the sewn hole..i must have done a good job sewing..hit it square in the front chest and the 280 ripped an amazing sized hole..funny the exit was bullet sized..almost gave it to a buddy that wanted one mounted..glad i kept it..

understanding how they grade is a mystery...i dont care how they grade..just wanna see the money...

you can improve your put up...but you cant change the quality of the fur...

i was embarrassed for the fox of mine they called a gray butt! lol
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, the grading is a mystery. I was on another site and a guy from Texas had most of his coyote grade as northcentral. Every mink I've ever sent there has been graded as silky northcentral but have coon from the same area grade as central, northern and northcentral.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was listening to the auction online now. Ranch fox is still going on. Wild red fox is after this then tomorrow is all wild fur.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

i am pretty happy!!

70$
53$
50$
33$ for a damaged

have 10-12 coon that aughta do decent and 1-2 yotes that aughta do decent...

pretty exciting to watch and listen to the auction! dont know if i will get to watch the coon tomorrow or not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page