Are traps expensive? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Are traps expensive?

Guys seem to worry over the cost of traps, so I thought I'd crunch some numbers. I ran 32 Dp's on my ride home from work the last week of season and caught 48 coon. If I would have started from scratch buying top of the line equipment at a convention(saving on shipping and tax),factoring in my gas @$4.00 gal., which I was already using anyway going to work, plus a trip Sunday to set. Bait and lure cost, which I did not use all of so I'll have a head start on next year. And paid someone a premium to put up my hides, which I didn't (I realize there are added costs in put up equipment, that's why I paid someone in this exercise.) Anyway... lets break it down.
3 doz. Sterling Grizz -569.85
3 doz. Cable tie-offs - 30.00
1 gal salmon oil - 27.00
4 oz. Yodel Dog - 16.00
Bait - 18.00
Gas - 82.13
Fur put up [email protected]$3.00 -144.00
Total cost <span style="color: #FF0000">-886.98</span>
sold coon [email protected]$20.00 960.00
<span style="font-weight: bold">PROFIT $73.02 OR 8%</span>
How many savings accounts make 8% a week? Let alone a hobby?
Those traps are paid for in one week with minimum effort and that is adding in high and unneeded cost. Now you have them and they don't eat much. They will do nothing but make you money for years. I guess what I'm saying is in the current fur market the initial cost of traps is really miniscule when you really look at the numbers.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Re: Are traps expensive?

To answer the question are traps expensive.No they aren't considering that you could make your money back.Plus you are having fun while trapping.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

just be lucky you didnt lose any of those traps...when they get stolen thats when stuff starts to get expensive...

and if you would have bought Duke DP's you could have had the same amount of coon with a additional roughly 120.00 profit in your pocket...just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Either you use a very economical vehicle or most of your trapline is walking that you used only $83.00 in gas. Last fall, to fill up my Silverado ran about $90.00 and I know I had to fill up at least 3 times last fall. I'm glad you were able to turn a profit!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM

For me for a Hobby I'd say 6 DP's ($76) 6 duckbill stakes ($10) 6 cubby's with Bridger 160's ($108) wood for cubby's (free) 2 cage traps (free) and 12 Bridger 1.5 Specials on drowners ($79) and my 12 drowner cost me ($12.95.)

Thats $285.95

Skinning fleshing, and stretching tools and supplies maybe $150. So we are taking $335.95 for the entire season. I don't include gas as my trapping is so close It does'nt even matter.That's 26 traps out the whole season, is 16 or 17 weeks? Lets go with 16... that's $20.99 a week, $2.99 a day.

I've had to justify starting up trapping again to the boss (WIFE). Hit the coons hard and they will pay for the rest of it.

Now obviously I can not take into account weather, and temps, and lack of critters on my areas. But I'm lineing up several lines to keep running all season. I've done the math with beavers and will do the math with rats and mink as well as fox and coyotes just to keep myself inline.

Just remember traps don't make you any money when they are sitting in the garage. I start work at 4AM so I don't check til the afternoon. All my coon, rat,mink,and beaver traps will be drowner/kill traps. My K-9 will just be small and run on weekends unless I can make some sets that will drown.

Semper Fi
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Part of the Community

Where is the cost of your time.....

Life's Too Short To Put A Price on Fun!!!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 PM

for me... I charge nothing for my time. I do this for a hobby. I work 50 to 65 hrs a week, I check in my spare time and set or reset an area on my days off.

Semper Fi
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 PM

A person is definately not going to get rich doing it. For most it's a hobby they enjoy. I have not trapped in years but I still have 4 drywall buckets of traps that I would not like to part with. As long as I have space enough to keep them I will.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie
A person is definately not going to get rich doing it. For most it's a hobby they enjoy. I have not trapped in years but I still have 4 drywall buckets of traps that I would not like to part with. As long as I have space enough to keep them I will.
I still agree with FEEB. The "hobby" trapper can still turn a profit just on coons. Everything else is bonus. An if you have the area, and work ethic to stic with it the whole season you can multiply Feeb"s figures buy more than 1 week. I'll trap from November 1st til the end. Just to see if If I cant pay for my "hobby". Even still it pays better than duck hunting, bow hunting, and rabbit hunting all together.

I agree you won't become wealthy from trapping, but I firmly believe you can pay your way just from coon in Pa.

Semper Fi
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 AM

Yes I see what you guys are saying but once you start calculating money and profits and losses it isn't really fun anymore.Then it's almost like a mini business."Will I make my money back this season that I put into it?" I see that it should just be fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page