Traps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Traps

just getting into trapping was wondering what brand of trap was a good one. Going to trap foxes,coyotes and coons. Any help would be great. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Traps

IMAO there is no one trap to cover those three animals. So your looking at 2 flavores min. For coon a grizz type dp is all you need. They all have pros and cons. I've seen no advantage or no disadvantage to the push pull trigger. I don't like the stake on the dagger, it can cause ring offs in freezing weather because of the large surface area. It can freeze in SOLID. Overall the duke is my first choice. If reds and coyotes are in your sights. Bridger #3os with a 1/4" inside lam. 4coiled. If you will target Greys Bridger 1.75OS. Not because the jaw spread is to large on the 3s for greys. I like less pan tension for greys, with wire screen pan covers on 3s + light pan tension + heavy dirt covering = many ghost fires.

"Little minds are tamed & subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them"
Febinger Archery
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

If I'm setting in an area with fox and coyotes, I usually run #2's. Brand, doesn't really matter to me, what ever I can get the cheapest. I usually don't buy brand new traps, buy them used at auctions, swap meets, or local trapping post. You being a new trapper, I wouldn't go out and buy expensive traps such as MB's.

My first choice for brand of trap would be Northwoods(no longer made) followed by older Victors, Montgomery's, and finally Duke's. Nothing against Bridger, MB, or Sleepy Creek, I'm sure their fine traps, I just don't see the need to spend extra money if I don't need to. I would recommend Duke traps to a beginning trapper if you were buying new. The price is good, and the quality while it isn't a Northwoods, is still pretty good.

I also do mods to all my traps, and would recommend doing the same to yours. Some of them are very basic, and require minimal tools and skills.

As for coons, I would recommend the Duke DP, or the Z-trap. Both worked well. 95% of the coons we got last year were with the dog proof style traps. The are easy to set, are quick to set, and hold coons. One thing you will learn that time is one of your biggest enemies while trapping, the more you save the better.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I like helping out new trappers.

Wait a second, why am I helping you I run a line in Huntingdon. LOL.

PA Waterfowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My first season coming up also, using z-traps, and 1.5 dukes, and i have a couple #2 bridgers, and will be using cables also.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Part of the Community

MB 550 Two-Spring Closed Jaw...A little big for coon but work just fine.

Life's Too Short To Put A Price on Fun!!!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned

D/Pís traps are great if you are only going to target coons. If you are looking for traps you can use in other areas such as mink trapping then they are not your best choice. In most cases you get what you pay for with traps. If youíre looking to trap/target coyotes specifically and do not have the time/skill set to modify traps on your own traps the MB line is a pretty darn good trap straight out of the box.

Whatís your target animal? Do you have plenty of grays or reds or are there more coyote than fox? If you have a much larger fox population than coyote population then there is no need for a completely modified number3. Or if you have a high mink and/or rat population and you are looking at picking up numbers of them in you coon sets I would avoid the B/Pís. But the D/Pís are a great coon only trap.

There are plenty of options out there; every trapper has what works for them on their line in their area. Going used is not bad as long as you know what to avoid. There are plenty of poor options out there in the trapping market.

How many traps are you looking at getting? Is the price of the traps a major concern? Are you looking for a multipurpose coon trap or coon only? Are you looking at trapping fox with an occasional coyote? Or trapping coyotes with an occasional fox?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Duke 1.5 are cheap and will catch any coon or fox. On my fox line I like 1.75 which will also hold coon and the occasional yote I find around here
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

2nd the mb550. Closed jaw they are fully modified and catch everything from a coon to a yote. I've caught 36 lb beaver on one this year
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM

I'm running Bridger 1.75OS this year for fox. If I get occasioal yote I'm confident it will hold them. Also not afraid of mink and coons with those traps on drowners. Any dry land coon I target I will be using Z-Traps. If I come across an area with enough coyote sign I'll try some Bridger #4 DLS that I'm picking up for beaver. They should work on cats too.

Semper Fi
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought some dp's from a guy at work but was a little more interested in seeing what brand of foot holds were good ones. There are plenty of grey fox around here and the yotes are growing in numbers.Thought about buying 1.75 and #2 dukes. What would you guys suggest 2 coil or 4 coil and offset jaw or just the normal one. THANKS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page