Whats your favorite tan? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Whats your favorite tan?

I am getting ready to flesh and tan some coon and fox hides. Whats everyones favorite tan solution? whats the best way to go about this process? thank you for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Whats your favorite tan?

I use either liquatan or Mckenzie tan
Heres the directions for Mckenzies tan

Step 1.

After skinning, turn lips, ears and eyes; remove red meat and fat.

Step 2.

Salt the hide as soon as possible to inhibit the growth of bacteria.

Completely cover the flesh side of the skin with non-iodized salt and let it set for 4 to 12 hours. You may proceed to step #3, or shake off most of the salt, place the salted skin in a plastic bag and freeze the skin until you are ready to continue the tanning process.

Step 3.

Rinse the skin briefly in cool water.

Step 4.

You are now ready to mix the pickle solution. We recommend the following pickle using Saftee Acid:

The formula is 1/2 fluid ounce of Saftee Acid and 1 pound of non-iodized salt for each gallon of water. Minimum batch size recommended is 5 gallons of pickle for each whitetail cape. (It is important to maintain the pH of the pickle solution between 1.0 and 2.0 at all times. We recommend the 0-3 range pH paper for testing. The pH of some water may require that you add more or less Saftee Acid to achieve the correct level. To lower the pH, add more acid.) Pickle the skin for 3 days, stirring and checking the pH of the pickle solution each day.

** USE ONLY PLASTIC CONTAINERS FOR PICKLING USE **

** Note: When pickling greasy skins (i.e. Raccoon, beaver, or bear), they should be degreased during the pickling stage. To degrease, add 1 ounce Tannery Degreaser to every 5 gallons of pickle.

Step 5.

Remove the skin from the pickle and drain in order to perform the shaving process. Thicker skins such as deer should be shaved, but thin skins such as bobcat, etc. can be simply fleshed of all membrane. After shaving, we recommend returning the skin to the pickle for at least 12 hours.

Step 6.
Remove the skin from the pickle and mix a neutralizing solution that consists of 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda to each gallon of water and soak the skin for 30 minutes. Minimum 3 gallons for each whitetail cape.
Step 7.
Take the skin out of the neutralizing solution, drain, and roll in a towel (flesh side out) to dry for 15 minutes. Wearing rubber gloves, brush McKenzie Tan on the entire flesh side or the skin. Allow the tan to penetrate for 4 to 5 hours.
Step 8.
Rinse the skin in clean cold water. Next, roll skin in the towel (hair side out) to remove excess moisture.
Step 9.

The skin is now ready to mount or freeze for later use.

Please note: If you do not have enough time to complete any one of the steps, you may freeze the hide at any point in the process and thaw the hide and return to the process at a later time.

You get out of your dog what you put in to your dog!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 AM

I use Van Dykes tanning kit.If you buy the kit it has all instrustions and everything you need but salt if I remember right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 AM

Krowtann 2000
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEarcher
Krowtann 2000
Krowtann isn't an actual tan but I like it. If I were to do something as nice as a fox I would try mckenzies or Liquatan. I just did 2 squirrels with Krowtann and it worked out nice. The one looked like the kind you get from a tanned fur seller.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pickle required Headquarter's Supply tan. It's a paint on version of sorts of Carolina Fur Dressing's tan. It's great for doing soft tanned finished foxes, and great to wet tan anything. I use the softening oil as well, always when drying/finishing.

Has anyone found a way to do beavers where they can actually be softened enough to make stuff with? Not like say, Moyles tan, but do-able, like if Indians of old had tanned it. Don't say brain tanning LOL- way too much work.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Black and Tan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam
Black and Tan
Lol me too!!! I might go the Krowtan route..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmasters243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEarcher
Krowtann 2000
Krowtann isn't an actual tan but I like it. If I were to do something as nice as a fox I would try mckenzies or Liquatan. I just did 2 squirrels with Krowtann and it worked out nice. The one looked like the kind you get from a tanned fur seller.
Really? It's not? What would it be considered then? I thought if it tans hides which it does it would be a tan.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Part of the Community

foxtrapperwoman sent you a pm

fi yuo cna raed tihs yuor biarn tihnks teh smae as mnie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page