snow drifting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

snow drifting

Any advice on trapping these windy/snowy conditions???

I got 3 hay sets and a dirt hole out...by the time i was done they all had snow drifts over the trap...wind hitting the backing (or hay pile) caused drifting..probably over the traps....

Made 2 post sets that obviously didn't do that....

I just dont have confidence in my post sets yet....i need to gain that confidence as i know it is a valuable set for a canine trapper...especially this time of year...

Not sure what to expect in the morning....my dirt sets are in waxed dirt...just worried about the drifting snow and canine movement...might have em holed up...

Dont know how guys trap conditions like this all the time...it was brutal out there...

Any other tips and tricks for these conditions?? Might plug in a few more sets tomorrow...

Just running a few sets for a few days here at camp...

One nice thing was didnt have to worry about leaving tracks etc...was covered before i left lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: snow drifting

They will move , it was -21 and windy out here last night and the coyote moved. Nothing you can due about drifting snow other then clear it of your sets when the wind stops, Sometimes I can get by with a dust brush and other times Ive had to shovel through a 6 ft drift to find them. I hate wind .

You get out of your dog what you put in to your dog!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

I figured you battled conditions like we have now and worse on a regular basis...

I dont have any 6 foot drifts lol...but a good couple inches and looked like that was all it was going to do...they can still find the trap...

Ive never done well when we get cold spells like this but others do really well...will be interesting to see...

Hope i can pull my anchors...the ground wasnt froze yet...but i am sure it will be when i decide i am done...

Havent seen a fox at home since 2009...a few buddies were coming to camp this weekend so i figured id come and trap a few days....didnt let the weather stop me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
The Man

Look at my post from today. It's like Antartica out there and I pinched one. Most of the coyotes my brother and I have got this year (8 between us) have come on miserable nights like last night.

Make your sets in windblown areas and use little to no backing. Other than that, keep a shovel handy...

Winter trapping in the snow is one thing. Hard work.

Good luck!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Nothing today...wind is still howling and snow still coming down....

The post sets looked fine from a distance...could even see yellow snow at one...no tracks so figuring it was mine...the haysets and dirt hole are drifted bad..if the critter worked hard theyd still get caught...looks like the wind will lay down tomorrow so i will dig them out then....probably head home Sunday unless the trapping gets really good...dont really wanna be responsible for closing down the camp for the rest of the winter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page