Anyone do out of state trapping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Anyone do out of state trapping

Thinking for a few years now of heading to a different state and try for animals I can't catch here;otter,marten,cats.What states seem to be the most trapper friendly for gaining access.This isn't really a money venture but just a trip for some fun.What problems should I be aware of ahead of time.Some of you guys must have done it and I was hoping you could prepare me problems I could run into.Was thinking maybe Nebraska for the trip or wyoming,but a waterline in the south would be cool too,and mix in a land line

yote addiction: a pack a day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Anyone do out of state trapping

A buddy or two and I have a trip planned to Iowa this coming November. A lot of guys were saying distemper hit them hard this year though. I always thought ROW trapping would be easy, but everyone said there's lots of competition, theft, etc. Here's the link
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...wa#Post3599013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunted southern Iowa for their muzzleloader season for a week and ran a small line for some coyotes. The ground is awesome to work with, I put some of my hunting clothes in a trash bag for the ride home and filled my tote with some good dirt to bring back to pa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Part of the Community

The three big things to have 'BEFORE' you go:

1.A warm place to stay.fix meals and get a shower once in a while

2. A place out of the weather to skin and hang your furs.You can take a freezer along and rough skin but more hassle.( It's a booger trying to skin off a shower rod over the bath tub in a motel!Coon carcases in the tub scare the bejeepers out of the maid when she comes to clean the room. )
3. Getting permission for enough land before you want to start trapping.
Most guys that do an out of state trip are limited by the time they can spend.If you don't have the above things lined up before you go,you use up a lot of valuable time wondering around when you could have been trapping. I know it's expensive to make two trips but you will have a much better time(at least the first time you do it)if you get the basics out of the way,it will be a lot less stressfull.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rups.I was planning on finding good chunks of public ground to get a line out and then start knocking for permission as I go along.Sounds like you've done a few trips

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rups has sound advice above. The biggie is having a good place to stay, skin, etc. Don't forget about a place to dispose of carcasses also. Plan on having enough time, a week for a hunting trip works, but it's not long enough for most trapping trips.There's a learning curve anywhere, if you head north, west, or south. We haul chest freezers with us to freeze fur until we come home. Think of the worst the weather can do to you and then figure You are going to get some of that ! Oh and take an extra everything, If you do it enough, things do go wrong. Flat tires, trailer bearings, freezer failure, tornadoes are some things that come to mind. You can't stop things from happening, but if you're prepared, they aren't bad.

Oh, and when you get back you'll be tired and sore if you did it right, but you'll say you had the time of your life
Good Luck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Part of the Community

It was mentioned above that they were going to scout public ground.Don't base your trip on a lot of public grounds.If you are from Pa. you get used to having a lot of public property to hunt or trap. A lot of other states don't have the public property we have.Even if they have the public property it isn't as accessable as here.A lot of guys have gone on hunting trips and were disapointed when either they couldn't get to the public ground across private property or if they did get to the little bit of public property it was so crowded they had a lot of company while they were there.Home work 'BEFORE' the trip is essential to a successful adventure.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Part of the Community

I keep thinking of things as I read over this post. Make sure you either send for or get on the computer and get one of the states hunting and trapping manuals.A lot of states have regulations that differ quite a bit from ours.Some states are more lax and some have a lot more restrictive.Some states you have to buy a hunting license before you can buy a trapping license.It is best to make some kind of contact with the Game and Fish agency of the state you are going to.It is best to really understand their laws before you go.It is best to stay on the good side of the Conservation officers or Game Wardens in other states. They don't play.Some of them have more authority than the State Troopers have. They will slap the cuffs on you ,haul your butt to jail right now.Talk about a way to spoil a trip.
I'm not trying to throw a lot of negatatives your way,just trying to give you some of the things that my experience has put my way.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I live fairly close to Maryland and West Virginia and thought about trapping in one or both states. Foxtrapper woman told me a while ago that you have to take a trapping coarse in Maryland if you want to trap there, whether you have a valid PA trapping license or not. West Virginia however is much more easy. Just the added expense of the license. A dream trapping trip would be to the western states such as the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness in Montana. But, I'll start small like a spring turkey hunt I have planned for WV this spring and start from there.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 PM

"DATKINS" and I have been to Maine, Texas, Iowa, New York and many places in PA. PM me if you have any questions.

Ed

Join the PTA. Life member PTA
http://www.patrappers.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page