stolen trap rage. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

stolen trap rage.

Had another 650 stolen this week.. that makes two for this season. One in moraine state park and one way down near pittsburgh. I run a short line and alternate spots so a little over 10 percent of my equipment has been stolen this season so far. ......im only ever half suprised when this crap happens but the rage never seems to lessen..... i dont know that i would be able to control myself if i came upon someone doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: stolen trap rage.

I guess the best answer would be find a new area, but I understand your anger.
Thieves are every where now, stealing anything they can get their little grubby hands on. I have had two tree stands stolen.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM
The Man

I've been a trapper for almost 60 years so let me offer you some sage wisdom. Trap/fur thefts have always been part of the game. The only way you are going to protect your traps is to not set them, keeping them safe, locked in your fur shed at home.

My advice to you, and anybody else reading this, is to shrug it off and move on.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Traps, tree stands, trailcams and anything left in the woods are apparently the targets of dishonest people. What is it about items we leave unattended in the woods, for legitimate purposes, that makes them attractive items to steal? Like probably everyone else, I have stumbled on traps stands cameras and stuff and not only do I not touch them but I get far away from them too. The only item I have ever taken out of the woods that was not mine is a wallet. Got it back to the owner in short order.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM

I feel ya, I had 4 stolen this year as well! One was brand new and 2 others were some of my best so I know angry your feeling

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMink
I've been a trapper for almost 60 years so let me offer you some sage wisdom. Trap/fur thefts have always been part of the game. The only way you are going to protect your traps is to not set them, keeping them safe, locked in your fur shed at home.

My advice to you, and anybody else reading this, is to shrug it off and move on.

OldMink’s got it right. It’s always been a problem. But some of you younger guys should have seen it back in the `80’s during the insanely high priced fur boom.

Traps, and especially fur theft was rampant. With $50 red fox (over $100 in today’s dollars), you had to do trap checks very early or all you would have left was a catch circle.

An amusing story on how I “trapped” a thief: When I was a little kid back in the early 1960’s, I trapped rats in a small stream on my Grandparent’s land. My Mom’s cousin-in-law trapped the next property. I always suspected he was also “checking” my traps, but could never prove it.

Jumping ahead to the early `80’s, I started trapping that small stream again. I set my traps on opening day, which included a conibear near the property line. The next morning, I saw that the other guy had a foothold just on the other side of the line. So, I always made sure to hit that property first thing. A few days later I had a rat in one of my foothold's and by now I knew what time the other guy got to this part of his line. Now was my chance to confirm what I always thought for all these years – that the guy was a thief.

I took the rat from the foothold and stuck it in my conibear and hid in the brush. Before long, the guy came walking down the creek. He stopped at our traps – he looked up the creek – he looked down the creek – but not behind him where I was hiding. He bent down and came up with a rat. That’s when I stepped out of the brush.

He calmly said, “I see you have a trap near mine – I had a rat this morning – but I’ll pull my trap”. In order to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may have caught a rat after I was there, I walked over and sure enough, my conibear was empty. When I began confronting him, he then said he must have gotten mixed up. Yeah right! He mixed up a conibear with a foothold?

I then went into a tirade and began screaming and ranting and raving. I can’t say on this forum what I said, but I called him every name in the book. I also held up a camera and told him I have a picture of him stealing my rat. He had his young son with him (about 8 or 9) and I said, “You sure are setting a fine example for your son”.

The end to this long story – I never had any more problems with that guy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My previous post reminded me of another story from years back:

I had some fox sets on Game Lands. One morning, I had a nice catch circle, a bit of blood, some human footprints, but no fox. As I was driving down the road, I saw two WCO’s talking, while parked side by side at a pull-off.

I stopped and mentioned that I had a red fox stolen. One of them asked me how I knew it was a red fox and not a gray fox? Without thinking anything of it, I said, “Well, I bent down and sniffed the dirt”. With that, they both burst out laughing, and one of them said, “I always knew you trappers were crazy in the head.”

I thought their reactions were funny, but I guess you had to be there……….
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
New Arrival

best way to catch a trap thief IMO would be to tie one of them 650's to the trigger of a buried 330.

2013-14
red
grey
coon
coyote
rats
mink beaver
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac96
best way to catch a trap thief IMO would be to tie one of them 650's to the trigger of a buried 330.
i hope this advice isnt what you have to offer to this forum,because we dont need that type of advice round here!!!!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM

I lost I DP this year at a bridge. I guess that's not too bad considering all the bridges I trapped this Year

work harder millions on welfare are depending on you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page