Stake Puller - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stake Puller

I remember reading a post on here last year about some guys that made home made disposable stake pullers. I looked through the search function to see if I could find anything but no luck. If anyone can find it or if people just want to post pics/directions on how they did it that would be great. Thanks

A Good Day Is Any Day In The Woods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Stake Puller

I used a 12" piece of 2" angle for the foot, 4 1/2 ft piece of DOM 1 1/2" tubing, 5/16" key stock bent in a vise to hold chain, and a quick link to connect to the stake. Very simple to make if you have material laying around and handy with a welder.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM

You want to talk to Fairchild#17. He makes some awesome pullers. I bought one from him in early Nov. and it is pretty amazing. Makes pulling enjoyable. He had a post on here titled "Made some stuff this weekend" I think and it had some pics of his handy work. He's a very crafty fellow.

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been wondering about how you made out with the puller. Glad it's working out for you since you did take my prettiest one, LOL. I never did make another with round pipe.

"I wanted to make some heavy duty chain stake pullers, heavier than you can buy as far as I know.
$20 total for material at the welding shop, or $10/each.
I will add a heavy hook to the length of chain. The chain allows you to hook up to stakes without the bar being flat on the ground. With the puller started at hip height, you can use your hips to push and roll the chain stakes out of the ground rather than pulling straight up with you legs/back. Much easier.
If you need a lower grip, just roll the chain around the bar to shorten it up.

"

I'm really not in the business of making and selling these things for a profit. The only reason I sold to Long Beard and a few others is because they came to my house to shoot the bull. Shipping would kill me on these things.

Did you get that driver working for your stakes. Somebody told me that there are two different sized openings on those Fox Hollow Super Stakes. Maybe I sized my driver for the larger ones and you had the smaller ones??? Mine never get stuck in the head.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a dandy stake puller!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM

yeah thats a nice puller. I got tired of hurting my back so I bought the one from FnT when they had it on sale for under $20. I was already ordering other stuff so the shipping was just normal.

If you are using cable stakes I highly recommend a quality puller.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Part of the Community

nice job on the puller
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

17- Are you able to pull chain stakes in the current conditions? Gonna go to chain for next year!! Was gonna set some good spots today, however i couldn't even get one 18" rebar in...

16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM

kish I have frost here in southern Lancaster county about 6-8", depending where you are at, and I have the "pretty" puller #17 is talking about and I pulled my chain stakes with little problem.

#17 Yes sir the puller works great and the driver is great to! Just had to work it down a little on the grinder. I sent you a text a week or so ago to see what you have pinched so far. You never replied so I figured you erased my number. LOL And yes I have two different size holes on my fox hollow super stakes. The ones I bought early last yr are bigger then the ones I bought this yr. Weird.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ill get a pic on mine tomorrow. Used 1" square tubing, welded about an 8" piece of angle iron on the bottom as a foot. Drilled a hole through the tube about 18" from the angle and put a threaded eyelet there and an S hook off of that. Welded the hook and all in place and even today in 10* and hard surface ground I yanked berksires out of rocky soil with ease. Cost me about $13-14 to make it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page