Coyote Help!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Coyote Help!!!

So we have been trying to get a coyote all year long. It's been a very frustrating year to say the least. We have caught 5 reds and a bunch of coon but just can't seem to get a coyote.

We have tried everything! lots of lure/smelly lure/mild lure/no lure/fresh bait/smelly bait/red fox urine/coyote urine...just can't seem to get a good combo..

Recently when it snowed we had a couple sets where the coyote will come in stop 2 feet away and won't work the set...seems to turn around and walk the way he came...

We just reboiled all of our traps and re-waxed everything...We wear rubber gloves use a kneeling pad...clean everything up when we are done..

Is this just the way coyotes are? The sets are not boxed in...

Just wondering if i'm missing something!

Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 AM

Re: Coyote Help!!!

Just from the way it sounds your messing with the sets to much.Make a set and check from a distance.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yotes at skittish by nature . i didn't get a single one this year ,really don't bother with them much . when we got snow and i was seeing tracks go right by them without stopping it really bothered me .made a point to catch them . well they made a a** out of me . some would circle , others would just keep up without breaking stride . just the way it goes sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Have you been in the same area all season? If so, I am gonna bet that area is overloaded with lure smells and such. If they are coming within a couple ft of your sets but no interest I think they are still catchable. Put a well blended flat set in with just a dab/hint of a quality gland lure at least 30 yds from "the hot zone", upwind and close to the travel route. They are comfortable en route but when they hit the wall of smell, the caution flag is raised. Make sure the flat set is put in before they hit it. Good Luck!
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good advice Denny!
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Blend,blend,blend. Hit them with a piece of rabbit fur in a likely looking rabbit hiding spot.
Urine sets work well now as well.
Avoidance is the nature of the beast and if they don't lie all who chase them hard, deal with the same. They often leave me scratching my head while cussing a bit.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3
Just from the way it sounds your messing with the sets to much.Make a set and check from a distance.
X2 The best I've done with coyotes is to make a set where you can check it from the truck or walk within a distance where you can check the set with binoculars. Stay away unless you absolutely have to walk up to it.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Your sets aren't natural enough to them and your throwing up the red flag when they see/smell it.I agree 100% with kips advise.The yotes I trap will never hit an unblended set,and most guys use way too much lure.If you know their travelway, put a scent post set right in the path;not off to the side.A little gland and urine is all,and put it on or under something natural;rock,weed already there.none of this burnt wood or other stuff planted there.Make it appear natural and blended and you'll connect,but give it up to 2 weeks without fussing with it.Maybe just a squirt of urine after heavy rain.Leave the dirtholes for your fox trapping

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Subtle, blend, stay away......great advice. I caught one last year after 2 weeks of checking a urine flat set with binos from 100 yards. It snowed 6" one night and the next morning I had him, never touched that set for 2 weeks.
Nothing wrong with using two traps at each set until you get things figured out. One at 9&2 and another kept back a little ways if they are stopping short on you.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are places where coyotes stall out to survey the area before moving on. Start of woods roads, hilltops, outside corners. They stop there naturally to assess the situation. Give them something to smell while they are stopped.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page