#3 was a bit of a pain... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

#3 was a bit of a pain...

You guys have read of my issues in my "frustrated" thread. Well, this was one of the sets that I haven't had any trouble with. It's a big hole set stuffed with a muskrat carcass and a wad of grass on the side of a big mound of dirt. I set these whenever I can because they garner so much k9 attention. (I caught the neighbors dog in a similar set yesterday.) This mound was covered up in fox and coyote tracks. I couldn't get a stake to bite so I used a drag. Not much brush around but the field is unmowed so there's lots of big grass hummocks to get hung up on....or at least that was the plan.

I checked this set the other night and thought it was frozen down. Like a dummy I tapped the dirt over the pan and ended up with a nice 4 coiled k9 wolfer across all 4 fingers on my right hand. LOL

I checked the line this morning and the flag I had marking the location of the drag itself was down. We only had a skiff of snow but I could plainly see coyote tracks going straight into the set with no hesitation. I looked around with my flashlight and was having a really hard time finding a direction of travel and was really surprised to not see the animal hung up somewhere. I also found where it's mate was on the backside of the same mound. I wished I'd had 2 traps there. I did have another set about 25-30 yards away though.

I looked as long as I could but had to leave for work. I called my buddy who is the landowners son and gave him a heads up. Turns out his work for the day got cancelled so he said he'd go see if he could find it. A half hour later he called and said he'd found it. It was 500 yards from where the set was, tangled up in some brush. The pics will show how it made it that far.

3 down, 3 to go.

39 lbs male
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89301270/0118130817a.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89301270/0118130818b.jpg

I need to come up with a better drag solution.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89301270/0118130823.jpg

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Re: #3 was a bit of a pain...

weld a bar up near the loop.

Glad you got your yote.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Them drags work ok in heavy brush but I like the conner tracker drags they will hang up in a cut hay field....

To fix your drags in a vice and squeeze them shut and weld or you can weld a swivel body on them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow, lucky find, glad you got it. Do like the other posters have said, pinch the drag shut and/or weld a bar to keep that chain out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I checked this set the other night and thought it was frozen down. Like a dummy I tapped the dirt over the pan and ended up with a nice 4 coiled k9 wolfer across all 4 fingers on my right hand. LOL
I actually LOL'd when I read that, thanks for giving me a laugh this morning!

Eh...wot?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

First time using drags so it's a learning curve. I'll definitely make a change ASAP.

As for catching myself, after I spit the dirt out of my mouth I told myself I was a dumb...well, you know. LOL I did chuckle afterwards about it.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
The Man

That drag in the photo would work fine for fox but its too light for coyote. You need something heavier.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ive always used a long branch as a drag. Of course it all depends where you are setting but I've had good luck using whatever is available in the location of my set as a drag.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Another thing to think about is how long the chain is that you use to attach the trap to the drag. (I recommend at least 6 feet. I've got about 6 feet of chain on my drags plus the 10 inches or so that come on the trap.) Maybe it was all open terrain but 500 yards is a long way not to get tangled around something.... I don't see a problem with the two prong drags (once you get the chain fixed to is properly) as long as you use a long enough chain... Just my 2 cents.. Glad you got the yote. Nice job.

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Regular Visitor

6 ft chain on that same drag has stopped plenty of coyote and cats for me but that's always been in brush. good lession...i may have to modify my drags as mentioned above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page