CR's and coyotes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

CR's and coyotes

With some snow down I'm finding quite a bit of coyote sign. Will the CR's with the 285 pound breakaway J-hooks reliably hold them? I found that they seem to be traveling the tire ruts through the fields, so that it is where I'm planning on setting some up Saturday. Any tips on setting these ruts? Books say 10-12 inches on loop and height. Is that what everybody uses here in PA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: CR's and coyotes

That's what I run for size and height, can't comment on the j-hooks I use the crimped on ones. Set the ruts where there is something close to it, a high stalk or something to blend in the cable.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Part of the Community

make shure you use a good anchor and enough swivels 2 make sure you check early check from a distance if you can use binos good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper233
Will the CR's with the 285 pound breakaway J-hooks reliably hold them?
I was muzzleloading with a friend, one evening two years ago, a few hundred yards from a cable setup. Near quitting time, I heard a coyote barking in the vicinity of that cable restraint. When I met up with my buddy, I told him I want to check on it. Upon investigation, I confirmed a catch. But the coyote broke out of the restraint at the 285# J-hook. He wasn't in long due to the lack of disturbance in vegetation. I found ALOT of long grizzled neck hairs to confirm.

I would think it doesn't matter if it's 285# in "S" or "J" variety. It should hold. Perhaps it was a defective J-hook. But in 2007, on a forum I'm sure I'm not allowed to mention here, Newt Sterling stated this:

"When I heard that PA. was looking into legalizing Cable Restraints. I was AGAINST it from the "get go".
Some guys thought I was against PA. getting snaring legalized.
Why would they think that ? I make part of my living building and selling snares and snare supplies.
I was pushing for them NOT to settle for something that dont work. But to hold out for something that does.

What you guy's got in PA.Was a bad regulation(no pun intended)Now you have a bad regulation with changes.

More simply put. Snares work. Cable Restraints DONT"

His belief was/is 75%, or less, catch & hold capability is the best one can expect out of cable restraints. I read on the same site, that some state uses a 125# BAD on a kill pole for coyotes. Kills the coyote, but the deer can still get out. I'm sure we go with CR's because of close proximity to pets and hunting dogs.

Out of experience, be careful going to the maximum load PA allows. (Which is 390# off the top of my head). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Avoid deer trails as that load will hold younger or lighter weight deer. And then make sure your anchor is in FROZEN or SOLID ground. That's the only way the BAD will work.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page