what to do with a skunk? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

what to do with a skunk?

I went to check my traps earlier I had a skunk it not a fox like wanted again. I tried to get close to let him out but he kept trying to spray so I had to dispatch him. I was wondering what yous do when you get a skunk.

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: what to do with a skunk?

That depends.... did you dispatch it with the shotgun??

Seriously though, I skinned one, but the backlash I got about how bad I smelled put an end to that.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I try to dispatch them without having them spray. If successful, I take them home and put them up like any other fur.

If they spray, I let them lay for 24 hours, bring them home on the next check then skin them and put them up like any other fur.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man
That depends.... did you dispatch it with the shotgun??

Seriously though, I skinned one, but the backlash I got about how bad I smelled put an end to that.
Yea I shot him with a shotgun extra range choke tube 70yard range aimed for the head so I know I didnt hit him in the back end to rupture anything.

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I try to dispatch them without having them spray. If successful, I take them home and put them up like any other fur.

If they spray, I let them lay for 24 hours, bring them home on the next check then skin them and put them up like any other fur.
When I shot him he didnt spray he sprayed before I even got to the traps yea I should probably hang him up air it out for 24 hours.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM

I usually skin scrape and sell.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM

You thought you were going to walk up to a skunk in a foothold and release it????

You've got a bigger pair than me! Whew! Between the spray and the claws i aint releasing a skunk!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
You thought you were going to walk up to a skunk in a foothold and release it????

You've got a bigger pair than me! Whew! Between the spray and the claws i aint releasing a skunk!
I would of released it I have no problem walking up to it and holding it down and releasing it if it wasnt going to spray. I woulda rather released him then have the stench stuck in my car.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM

You can slowlllllly sneak up on a skunk and not have it spray...they are very close to blind from what I've read...but trying to release one and i think hes gunna blast you lol....not to mention they are one of the more destructive critters out there to ground nesting birds etc...

Oh....and their essence sells for 15$ an ounce or so and a skunk with good pods that hasnt sprayed can have an ounce or better in it....they are worth dealing with if you get em! Essence can.also be used by the trapper to make bait and lure too...

If they spray i get upwind and get them out of the trap and hang them up to air out some...if bad they can go in a bucket with peroxide and baking soda hole to destink them...but i want the skunk and i want the set re-made that day...fresh skunk.spray draws yotes and fox...

Ive lucked out...the 2 ive caught.have been on windy days...get upwind of them and careful skinning with disposable rubber gloves and its not an issue...

Careful not to walk or kneel where they sprayed or.your boots/clothes will smell a longgggg time....and when you approach and dispatch keep upwind...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
You can slowlllllly sneak up on a skunk and not have it spray...they are very close to blind from what I've read...but trying to release one and i think hes gunna blast you lol....not to mention they are one of the more destructive critters out there to ground nesting birds etc...

Oh....and their essence sells for 15$ an ounce or so and a skunk with good pods that hasnt sprayed can have an ounce or better in it....they are worth dealing with if you get em! Essence can.also be used by the trapper to make bait and lure too...

If they spray i get upwind and get them out of the trap and hang them up to air out some...if bad they can go in a bucket with peroxide and baking soda hole to destink them...but i want the skunk and i want the set re-made that day...fresh skunk.spray draws yotes and fox...

Ive lucked out...the 2 ive caught.have been on windy days...get upwind of them and careful skinning with disposable rubber gloves and its not an issue...

Careful not to walk or kneel where they sprayed or.your boots/clothes will smell a longgggg time....and when you approach and dispatch keep upwind...
Thanks I just need to find a person who buys the essence and I was up wind luckly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page