Where to begin??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Send a message via Yahoo to Game_Hunter
Where to begin???

Hey guys, ive recently found the trapping form and have been doing a lot of reading. With all the reading ive done its sparked an interest in trapping and i would like to give it a try... Maybe this year but most likely next year. My question is where should i begin? Like what to buy, where to buy, all i need... Ill most likely be trapping fox and coon... Hope you guys can help!

Trapping goals:
1/5 Red fox
0/5 Gray fox
0/5 Coyote
8/20 Raccoon
0/15 Muskrat
2/0 Possum
0/0 Skunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 AM

Re: Where to begin???

i'd likely get a half dozen or a dozen dog proof traps..Dukes are priced good and seem to get great reviews....then all that is needed is some bait/lure whatever and maybe cable to tie them off...then you can see if you actually like trapping and can catch coon pretty readily with them...

trapping can be as simple or complex as you want it to be...can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be...if you are like me and dont have any fox to trap, just coyotes, canine trapping can be frustrating..all that time, work, gas and money for a couple yotes a season that arent worth much..a pain in the butt to skin compared to a fox or coon...require a more expensive beefed up trap so they dont blow apart a smaller cheaper trap etc...

if you wanna try some canine stuff, read about the hay set...easy set to make...could pick up a half dozen used #2 coil springs and make some hay sets...thats what i did my first season and i was hooked...now i am in too deep LoL...i love canine trapping...just wish i had a fox population...i havent seen a fox or sign since 2009 here at home...its so bad i may not bother setting here at home at all this year...maybe run for a week or so if we get snow and i can run some cable restraints as well..

a lot of time and work goes into trapping that i really never considered before i started...but, i started because i was laid off during the winters and it gave me something to do while i waited for the phone to ring with a job...gotta get up and check the line every day..rain, snow, wind, hail, sleet, etc..been a few days i just wanted to cry because i was sicker than a dog and it was nasty out..of course those days you will get the truck stuck or something too LoL..

also, dispatching a critter is something different and not for everyone...i say that because i know a lot of hunters tell me they dont know how i can do that...just something else to think about...

this is my 3rd season and i love trapping...but never realized the time and work that goes into it...takes me a couple days to clean, dye and wax my traps..tune then, adjust them, making anchors, hours and hours putting up fur..scouting is a never ending battle for me..pretty much every day after checking the line i spend another couple hours scouting for hot sign and new land etc...but like i said, it can be as simple or complex as you want it to be...i like it to fill up my days to keep me from going stir crazy in the winter when i am laid off..being in the outdoors is one of the few things that frees my mind and keeps me occupied...and yes, my night times are spent looking for a job...i absolutely hate getting laid off and am always looking for work..right now i am stuck working seasonal work hoping for a permanent job and gotta "put in my time" hopefully i am "there"...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM

get involved with the trappers assoc. they have a few events and a trappers school thru the year. You would be in district 3. We will be having a fur sale the end of Jan at washington co fairgrounds.

later

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

im in the same boat, id really like to give trapping a try but am lost at where to begin and dont have anyone to show me the ropes. I have a few duke 1 1/2s and i think i might order a dozen or so more and a few #3s and give this a try, theres plenty of info ive been reading up on here and im gonna give it a go after christmas....hey game hunter i live a mile or so from pleasant hills maybe well cross paths around here somewhere
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

cm20 where do you live? As you know i live in pleasant hills... Where do you plan on doin most of your trapping? Ive been scouting alittle and have found some good looking areas... I think... When scouting what should i be looking for? Cm20 pm me if you dont want your info public...

Trapping goals:
1/5 Red fox
0/5 Gray fox
0/5 Coyote
8/20 Raccoon
0/15 Muskrat
2/0 Possum
0/0 Skunk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Could anyone provide me with a list of things I'd need to buy to get started??? I would like to try coil type trap...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Would this be good???

Trapping goals:
1/5 Red fox
0/5 Gray fox
0/5 Coyote
8/20 Raccoon
0/15 Muskrat
2/0 Possum
0/0 Skunk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM

If you want supplies from the net I waould say look at F&T or schmitt enterprises. p/m me and I will do what I can to help you guys. I'm only good at coons (I can muttle thru other furbearers)

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you're gonna wait til next year then the best advice I can give is keep reading this forum and any other trapping forum you can find on the web.. There's alot to learn but the info is out there. Either here or in the archives on some of the other trapping sites.... Good luck to ya..

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm close to pleasant hills, give me a pm and I'll help you guys out as much as I can

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page