First Red Fox EVER!!! (Hay Set) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

First Red Fox EVER!!! (Hay Set)

Well, got my first Red Fox today. Here are some photos and the story...

This is the set. I am utilizing plain Straw with a Hay Set (as detailed on this site!!!). The #2 Bridger w/4 coil (I was targeting coyote) was laid to the right of the center in the photo. The straw is in a horshoe shape. The grass in the back is native grass I used as a backing. The set was made right off of an ATV path in a strip mine area. I am utilizing Berkshire cable stakes 15" long (I believe). I never saw fox sign in this area but had seen a lot of coyote sign. I utilized Craven's Canine Force and placed a stick I dipped in the bottle at the bottom of the high area by the backing. I then sprayed Red Fox urine only in the tall straw in the "horseshoe bend". The day before I succeeded I checked the set and could see something was working it. I tightened the trap closer to the Straw pile.

This is the result. It is day 3 of the set being placed. It rained BUCKETS on day 1 and I did not re-lure the set. I had my doubts on the hay set (just because I had never used it) but do not anymore. With the amount of rain we received, there is no way I could have managed a dirthole (usually what I go with). I am going to run the rest of the season using hay sets.

The bad.... There was an enormous amount of damage to the left foot. I am sure this is due to the #2 Bridger w/ 4 coils. A hunter dispatched the animal before I could get there. I do not necessarily have a problem with that (because it was obviously suffering from the foot damage) but they shot it in the chest and it blew out the other side. Must have been a 22 Mag hollow point at close range. Went in as a pinhole and out like a dollar bill!!! I stiched it but wish they could have just plugged it in the ear hole from 30 yds. away.

I want to thank everyone on this site and the archives for all of the pointers. Tight chains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: First Red Fox EVER!!! (Hay Set)

Good for you on your first catch.

My suggestion to you would be, if you are going to run hay sets don't worry about the 4 coiled traps. It's not like you're trying to bring that trap up through heavy soil.. Way too over kill for me... I very much doubt the fox was suffering, they are as well as all furbearers, very tough and resilient.
By the looks of the fox, it was a pup from this year unless you are a very large man. So the trap would have caught it higher.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM
The Man

Nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith101
Good for you on your first catch.

My suggestion to you would be, if you are going to run hay sets don't worry about the 4 coiled traps. It's not like you're trying to bring that trap up through heavy soil.. Way too over kill for me... I very much doubt the fox was suffering, they are as well as all furbearers, very tough and resilient.
By the looks of the fox, it was a pup from this year unless you are a very large man. So the trap would have caught it higher.
smith101 -- Thanks. I am 6'2" 240# -- I thought it looked small also but I had never caught one before. You confirmed it for me. Will drop back to 2 coils. Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Failed to mention in the original post but it is an Offset Trap. It was not caught in the offset though. It was in the side of the jaws.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 AM

Congrats!! on the red. What pan tension do you set your traps at?? I like to run 2 pounds to 2.5 on all my k9 traps. Also maybe you want to night latch you traps so there is no pan creep.

trapping goal
fox:
coons:
coyotes:
mink:
muskrat:
beaver:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 AM

are your traps laminated???

i run the same trap...4 coiled, offset, laminated, base plated with a center D-ring...

you say it wasnt caught in the offset??? ive never seen that..sounds like it was bound up between the lever and jaws???

i am wondering if the yahoo that blasted it didnt try stealing it and couldnt figure out how to work the trap and for whatever reason just gave up and left?

i can kinda see the damage in the pic...odd..

i caught 3 reds in the setup i mentioned above and have NO damage at all...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Mike
Congrats!! on the red. What pan tension do you set your traps at?? I like to run 2 pounds to 2.5 on all my k9 traps. Also maybe you want to night latch you traps so there is no pan creep.
I was set at about 4 lbs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
are your traps laminated???

i run the same trap...4 coiled, offset, laminated, base plated with a center D-ring...

you say it wasnt caught in the offset??? ive never seen that..sounds like it was bound up between the lever and jaws???

i am wondering if the yahoo that blasted it didnt try stealing it and couldnt figure out how to work the trap and for whatever reason just gave up and left?

i can kinda see the damage in the pic...odd..

i caught 3 reds in the setup i mentioned above and have NO damage at all...
mauser06 - I run a Bridger #2, 4 Coil, Offset, non-laminated trap with a baseplate and center D Ring. It looks like the fox might have been on his belly kinda pouncing on the pan. That is the only way I can think of his leg getting caught in that fashion (So close to the point of rotation for the jaws).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page