securing bait on a cubby or walkthrough set - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

securing bait on a cubby or walkthrough set

whats the best way to secure bait on a set.. 2 of my 4 cat sets had the bluegill ripped from the gills down and taken away without setting off my traps. i came to the conclusion i needed tighter blocking of my exposed pan but what gives with the bait? i even took one of them and ran a 14 gauge wire through tthe entire body and it still made off with half of it.. the other fish and wire with stick attached to it was completely gone!

thanks for reading, advice is needed and always appreciated

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
The Man

Re: securing bait on a cubby or walkthrough set

Cover most of it with a flat rock.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the idea.. also while you are here lol..
we added more hemlock to the top to cover most of this but there was definately something here that took the bait and wrecked some of it while at it..

should i add a covered trap out in front of here or continue baiting this set with fish like pictured

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
The Man

If you have something hitting your set I would definitely shallow bed a blind set in front with light debris and leaf cover.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 PM
The Man

now that i see the pic on a bigger screen, if your trap is where that peat moss is, i would shorted up that trail of blocking you have. im not the formost expert. but i would have that trap closer to that cubby entrance, that way when they work that bait they are moving around and will step on that pan.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
BTW
Part of the Community

I had a similar situation once w/ a cubby set. Something was stealing my bait. Eventually caught a couple racoons.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

checked 4 traps last night, 3 of 4 had bait stolen from them.. reset them closer and tightened the blocking.. thanks for the help

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Something else is going on if you're having all this bait stolen... any tracks in the set pattern? How high are you hanging the bait?

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

about 20 yards away on the edge of a mud puddle i saw a cat track that i took a picture of.. that set i have 3 traps exposed pan around a treefall that has roots exposed...

but im worried its coons coming in and stealing the bait... 2 of my sets are the drainpipe sets with an exposed pan on each side of the pipe with bait inside the pipe.. 1 still has the bait with no action and the other was stolen last night...

i had the bait hanging about 10 inches off the ground with fishing line or 14g trapper wire....

should i pull the traps and rebed them and cover instead of exposed sets?

also going to note these particular traps were not dyed as i am only trying to target cats with these. i have other dyed traps for fox and yote.
i had only the pans exposed and used what i though was good enough blocking to make the cat step on the pan, but obviously i have some issuies.. first time trapper here..

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
The Man

if your worried about the exposed pan, which shoudnt matter for cats, just toss a handfull of peat or pine needles over it. if you think cats (or coons) are getting in and out of your cubbies without getting caught then your trap placment must be off some. try offestting the trap to one side or the other. the pan should not be in the center. you not have to rebed the trap just move the blocking/guiding.
if you are sure its cats or coon stealing the bait inside the cubby then set another trap right inside just in front of the bait.
i'm no cubby expert as most of the cats i've caught are non-target in dirt holes or flat sets but thats whats what i would try if i was you. good luck

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page